Low Rolling Resistance Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 06:57 AM
Enthusiast
Default Low Rolling Resistance Tires

I made the mistake of not doing more research when it came to replace the OEM tires at 40,000 miles. I purchased a set of Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S (21lbs/tire). Huge mistake. I took an instant 5 MPG hit. So now I am looking at replacing those early two years later. I decided to go with the Continental ProContact with EcoPlus Technology (17lbs/tire) because of the Consumer Reports review and the Tire Rack review.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=155

Not only did they get good reviews, but they were the cheapest. I'm getting them installed on Saturday and hope to report back with some good news.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:33 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Low Rolling Resistance Tires

I went with Good-Year Assurance Fuel Max. My FE went up by 10- 15%. The tires are very quiet,roll like crazy,are good on snow and ice as they are all-season. My last trip of 3000 kilometer netted me [4.1 ltr. per 100 Kil. or 59 per US gal.?] on arrival home.Normally with other tires I was at 5+ ltr. per 100 kil. I have used the original Dunlap's, Michelin Hydro Edge and Good-Year Integrity on my Prius. I am sold on GY LRR tires. Check them out. H

Old 11-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Wow Harold - you must have close to 200,000 mile on your car to have tried so many tires.

I just replaced my Bridgestone Insignia tires to Michelin Hydro Edge (90k mileage warrentee) . Both are rated as LRR tires, but my mileage has plummeted from an average of 51 to 46. Part of that decline is the changing seasons (I always get better mileage in warmer weather).

Old 11-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Neil:
Only 50,000 Neil, but I have a 06 Prius as well. My first set on the HCH2 did not last long as my HCH came out with the wrong upper control arms on the rear. This cupped all four tires as I rotated at 10,000. Then Honda fessed up to the rear problem upper control arms. My Prius has the original Integrity tires and I liked them allot! Great FE and roll well. That is why I went with the Goodyear Fuel Max. They are even better than the Integrity. I tried Michelin Hydro Edge but was not please. I found them noisy and returned them! Folks like these Hydro Edge over all however. My car did not like them. FE plummeted! H