Low Rolling Resistance Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 07:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Low Rolling Resistance Tires

Hi all. First post! Woohoo!

I'm looking at getting a 2006 HCH next year, and this forum has really helped answer (and even ask) some important questions.

One thing that concerns me is the "Low Rolling Resistance Tires." From what I gather, this means the tires roll easier on the road thus reducing friction thus making the car move swifter. But what does this mean in terms of performance on snow and ice? Are they less safe than "regular" tires?

Thanks.

Old 09-14-2005, 07:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Low Rolling Resistance Tires

I have an 03 with 70,000 on the original tires. My opinion is they are a bit noisy at speed. They seem to be lasting quite well. I haven't been in snow or ice yet, (i'm in So. Cal.) but they seem to do pretty good in the rain. Keep the pressure up and they should last a long time. Unless you parallel park by the touch method.
(like my wife. Oops, did I say that out loud? )

I don't think they are "less safe" that any other tire, you just won't set any lap records around Laguna Seca.

Howard

Old 09-14-2005, 07:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Well, i have a set a snow tires that I put on during the winter month, and my mpg doesn't drop by that much. I don't think the snow tires are considered low rolling resistence by any strech. So I don't really buy into this. The key is the total weight (of each tire rim combo) and alloy rims you get. Stick with HCH or HX rims.

Old 09-15-2005, 04:59 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I live in NJ and we had a good bit of snow last winter. The car performed adequately. The only problem I have is that the ground clearance in the front is so low that you end up plowing snow when the snow is more than about 2-3 inches deep.

This winter was the first winter in over 10 years that I have driven a "car" as opposed to a VAN, TRUCK or SUV. And, I admit, this was my adjustment to make.

Old 09-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
I don't think the snow tires are considered low rolling resistence by any strech. So I don't really buy into this.
Oddly enough, the only low rolling resistance report I've seen (the GreenSeal report from 2003) lists a number of snow tires in their top 10. Go figure. The are all, however, heavier than normal tires of the same size by 2-3 pounds.

Old 09-17-2005, 09:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Does the 2006 also come with the Bridgestone B381s like my 2004 HCH?