Low-rolling resistance tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Default Re: Low-rolling resistance tires

Originally Posted by hweldon
Where did you find Sumitomo tires? I'm in So. Cal.

Howard
I ordered them online from TireRack.com and had them shipped directly to a nearby tire shop, where I had them installed.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
I ordered them online from TireRack.com and had them shipped directly to a nearby tire shop, where I had them installed.
Thanks. I'll check them out. I also may rethink the Michelin's.

Howard

Old 01-31-2006, 08:21 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hweldon
I kinda want to keep the same size. My local tire dealer is trying to sell me a set of Michelin X. I doubt they are LRR, but about $290 installed. He told me that as far as he knows, the Prius is the only hybrid that requires "high pressure" tires and that the HCH does not.

Anyone know if that's true?

Howard
That's a strange comment. I cannot see a reason why any car would require "high pressure" tires. There are a lot of people here who run higher pressures, up to the max listed on the side wall. I wanted a tire with a 51 psi max, and I run them at 45 psi on my HCH. My stock Dunlops were also 51 max, and I also ran them at 45. However, I can say that Honda recommended the typical 32 psi, so apparantly higher pressure is not "requried".

BTW, I did my work at Discount Tire, who orders through TireRack anyway. They'll match the price, and I got their "warranty" or whatever it is. The Continentals were right around $500 installed.

Last edited by Tim; 01-31-2006 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:25 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sledge
The Goodyear Integrity's that come on Prius are not LRR tires. The HCH2's tires may be LRR due to the very weird tread (it has two sipeless offset bands - only other tire I've seen that feature is on high performance tires) but I can't find any info about the SP31 on Dunlop's website.
I could not find the Dunlop SP20 either (OEM on my 03). I had to call Dunlop - turns out Sears carries them. However, I could not find them on the Sears web, or any other for that matter. Seems like it's a tire they made for Honda but don't market to the general public. The SP 31 may be the same way. If I remember correctly, the SP40 is the "LRR" tire they market to the public.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

I got a set of Dunlop SP20s from Tirerack, mostly since they were $39 ea. Only complaint so far is I'm getting ~4-5mpg WORSE than the OEM Bridgestones on my '04 HCH. BTW, I got 73,000 miles out of the Bridgestones.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:55 AM
YA RLY.

Originally Posted by Tim
I could not find the Dunlop SP20 either (OEM on my 03). I had to call Dunlop - turns out Sears carries them. However, I could not find them on the Sears web, or any other for that matter. Seems like it's a tire they made for Honda but don't market to the general public. The SP 31 may be the same way. If I remember correctly, the SP40 is the "LRR" tire they market to the public.
I'm glad they don't market the SP31 to the public. In anything but perfectly dry conditions, it's a poor tire. And the SP40 can go with it

Old 01-31-2006, 09:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

I believe they have Dunlops at Tirerack.com for $68 a piece. They work fine for me here in New England and I think (my opinion)they are smooth and quiet riding. I remember when we bought my wife's 03 CR-V a few years ago and the original tires on that were horrible and loud!!

Old 01-31-2006, 09:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cbxtc6
I got a set of Dunlop SP20s from Tirerack, mostly since they were $39 ea. Only complaint so far is I'm getting ~4-5mpg WORSE than the OEM Bridgestones on my '04 HCH. BTW, I got 73,000 miles out of the Bridgestones.
Yea. That's exactly what I don't want, lower mpg. I really like how well the Bridgestones have lasted.

I also thought the "higher pressure" tire comment was kinda weird. I think he meant that the Prius requires a LRR tire. (at least I hope that's what he meant)

Howard

Old 01-31-2006, 11:52 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cbxtc6
My apologies if this states the obvious. When I got my new Continentals, mileage was miserable for the first 1000 miles (around 42). Now, in similar weather conditions, it's back up to 45-46. I attribute it to break in - which is part of the reason why I think a lot of new hybrid owners get low mileage initially. If you've already broken in your SP20's, that's a bummer. I ran them at 45 psi, and that seemed to help. In the summer I was getting 50-51 mpg on the Dunlops.

Old 01-31-2006, 12:02 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim
When I got my new Continentals, mileage was miserable for the first 1000 miles (around 42). Now, in similar weather conditions, it's back up to 45-46. I attribute it to break in - which is part of the reason why I think a lot of new hybrid owners get low mileage initially.
I agree. When people talk about the "break-in period" for hybrids, I'm pretty convinced that this really means two things:

- breaking in the tires, so they are not quite so grippy
- breaking in the human, so they are not quite so aggressive a driver

Quick Reply: Low-rolling resistance tires

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands