Low-rolling resistance tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Excited Enthusiast
Default Re: Low-rolling resistance tires

I have really enjoyed reading this conversation and would like to add my own dilemma to the mix to see what you might recommend and help me on a related topic.

I have an 05 HCH with the standard Dunlop SP 20 FE tires. I have been pretty happy with them so far, running at about 35 psi and mid 40s around town, better on the highway. I am just reaching 8500 miles, not much at all for 8 months or so. Winter traction is not an issue for me.

I just noticed today that I have a bulge in the sidewall of one of these beauties and I need to replace it ASAP, obviously.

I am not excited about spending money on this, although it sounds like the Dunlops are dogs anyway, at least by some accounts in this dialog.

My car is only 8 months old, do I get to warranty claim anything with the Honda dealer on this and then do I get some awful replacement tire that does not match the original?

Or should I simply scrap trying to use the dealer to address the situation and move on to either a Sears store to order a Dunlop (as noted in this dialog) or should I order two tires. I hate to have a single replacement tire, I was always told to buy tires in pairs. Old school.

I would like to economize, but am willing to consider safety first.

Old 02-07-2006, 06:53 AM
Excited Enthusiast

Thanks anyway, I answered my own question.

Turns out that tirerack.com has the OEM Dunlops from Japan that match mine exactly. I am sending it to a local installer and will hopefully have it on in a couple of days.

I ordered just one to try, and will order another if I have issues.

I could not find the exact Continental tires and did not want a summer Sumitomo.

Good luck on everyone's tire purchase. I will be back when it is time to replace them all with good LRR tires.

Old 02-07-2006, 08:42 AM
Enthusiast

I've used RE92 and they gave about 1-2mpg difference compared to the cheap Arizonian tires I had on it later from AmericanTires. I was running 13" tires. Below is a link that talks about Low Rolling resistance tires. Hope it helps:

http://www.greenseal.org/recommendat...resistance.pdf

Old 02-07-2006, 08:49 AM
Enthusiast

Saw a set of stock tires and rims for a Civic Hybrid 2006 on Ebay and it has SP37 tires on them. Does anyone know anything about them, and can't seem to find any information.

Old 02-07-2006, 08:54 AM
YA RLY.

Those are Dunlop SP31 tires. Unless you get no rain or snow where you live, stay far, far away from the Dunlops.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:51 AM
Enthusiast

Personally I haven't had much JOYFULL performance experience with DUNLOPs, even with their SP8000

Old 02-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Conservative Republican

I have 80,000 miles on my B381s on the 04 HCH. I guess I am getting close to needing to replace them, and looking here for guidance. It sounds like the Sumitomo HTR200s are a good bet if snow is not an issue, as it is for me. The B381s are expensive. Any new info on the Conti CV95, Michelin X or Michelin Harmony? Others?

Old 02-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Check out my thread on the michelin destiny (harmony)

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...harmony-14753/