Manual IMA for HCH1 now availible.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Enthusiast
Default Manual IMA for HCH1 now availible.

Note: I have no financial interests in this project, but I have been both an alpha and now beta tester of it.

It's for the first gen Civic hybrid only (2003-2005)

retepsnikrep over at insightcentral has designed a device to intercept the signals the ECM sends the MCM and alter them giving whatever assist or regen you command (or disable assist/regen if you care to).

Imac&c hch1 civic - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

I've been using it for the past few months and it works great. Obviously a human with knowledge of the route can do a lot better at using the IMA system than a dumb algorithm guessing what is needed from pedal input and speed... for instance, I use the the longer stretches of my commute to charge the battery the most I can while staying in lean burn so I have plenty of SOC to add when it turns start/stop.

So far I've managed to improve my commute average from 49-51mpg to ~ 54.5mpg even while outside temperatures have been dropping.

The install is pretty easy for anyone with a pair of wire strippers/crimpers (though I'd probably solder the connections to make sure no vibration loosens them). The device goes in line with the single wire serial connection (two splices: one to the MCM side, one to the ECM side). Power comes from the +5V and GND connections also from the ECM, so two more splices. I wired mine with CAT5e, you could also use a 6' USB cable.

Here's the whole thing:

The PCB is simple and very tiny, the real magic is in Peter's software (he's been working on decoding the I2C signals from the first gen Insight for years now). It's so tiny that the entire device, buttons and all, mounts right to your e-brake or shifter **** like so:

Here it is installed... I've since moved it to the side so the assist/cancel/regen buttons are under my thumb instead.

I might add that Peter's OBDIIC&C gauge is an absolutely invaluable go-along with the IMAC&C.

Sam

Last edited by samwichse; 12-04-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Manual IMA for HCH1 now availible.

There's a new software update available.

The big new feature for all you out there limping along with weak batteries is "battery protect mode."

You can toggle this to make the car limit all assist to 12 amps and/or all regen to 6 amps, so those with weak batteries can continue to drive their cars longer without replacement/throwing IMA lights.

Peter also tweaked a bunch of other stuff like settings memory and the amount of regen per click, and he said some kind of logic error (I've had no problems with mine in the months I've been using it?).

Imac&c hch1 civic posting

Sam

Old 12-19-2012, 11:15 PM
Enthusiast

FWIW I have decided to reduce the price until the first batch of 20 pcb's has gone.

New price is

$50 for the pcb/sofware.
$150 for a built/cased unit inc pcb/software.

Happy Xmas

Old 12-24-2012, 05:37 AM
Enthusiast

Sam
I have limited knowledge and skill
I would like to control my ima
I drive an 05 with cvt avg about 46mpg with non ethanol fuel
Do you have any YouTube vids to show install or explain use?
Greg

Old 12-24-2012, 05:40 AM
Enthusiast

Peter
Perhaps I should have directed my post to you
It sounds like you can turn assist on or off also turn on regen?
How hard to install?

Old 12-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Enthusiast

Watch my YT videos on the HCH1 IMAC&C development/construction/install etc.

Good luck.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Enthusiast

Peter made a demo!

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...tml#post250162

Just gives you basic 1 click assist and regen, but you can play with that at no cost at all if you build yourself a breadboard version of the device. Note I used a 5-way switch from Radio Shack instead of the three separate buttons (didn't work very well), but here's mine from before he had the permanent circuit boards etched:

Not a super complicated device if I could figure it out this circuit diagram with no electronics experience at all except building an ice tube clock kit from Adafruit:

Parts list (Digikey) is here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...lh5aWlJRFBac2c

Add that to a breadboarding kit from Radio Shack and you're all set to start playing with MIMA. Plus the parts you use in it can easily be reused if you decide to buy the silkscreened board/software. Again, what I did originally.

Sam

Last edited by samwichse; 12-27-2012 at 09:36 AM.