Michelin Defender vs. Nokian eNTYRE

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 08:58 AM
Enthusiast
Default Michelin Defender vs. Nokian eNTYRE

This Spring, I will be replacing my 195/65/15 Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S that lasted about 25K miles on my 2007 HCH. A bit disappointed with them (very loud), but I've had many sets of Michelins in the past with great results...

Which has brought me to the Michelin Defender.

However, last fall I replaced my 4 year old Dunlop winter tires with Nokain Hakkapeliitta (studless). WOW, what a difference, especially in MPG, ride, and noise. Naturally, the Hakkas are top performers in the snow.

Which has brought me to the Nokian eNTYRE.

There aren't many reviews of the eNTYRE, so have any drivers uses either of these tires on their HCH, or other cars?

Thoughts, pros/cons, etc.?

Thanks-
DB

Old 05-26-2013, 09:25 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Michelin Defender vs. Nokian eNTYRE

I may be late here, but: I drove with Michelin Defenders on my 2003 HCH, after driving 190,000 miles on two sets of the OEM Bridgestone B381s. The Defenders dropped my mileage from a normal 50 mpg to about 44 mpg. I kept these for 10k miles, and my tire dealer gave me a very good return credit and I put B381s back on. The mileage immediately recovered. The Defenders had no real advantages to the Bridgestones: road noise was no better, handling if anything was mushier. The only possible improvement was wet weather traction, but it wasn't significantly better.

I can only say from my experience, and from reviews I've seen on the Michelin site, that the Defenders are not low rolling resistance and are not suitable for the HCH I, at least compared to the original Bridgestones. This apparently has been the experience with Prius owners, too. I'd stay away.