Michelin Killed the Mileage Star

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 03:25 PM

Well ok, I'm not really a star, but my new tires most definitely killed my mileage. I got the new tires around the middle of Oct and have seen my average MPG go from the low/mid 50's to mid/high 40's. I used to regularly break 600 miles/tank, now I really have to work to break 550. Still better than 99 percent of the cars out there but depressing nonetheless.

I ended up getting Michelin Harmonies to replace the stock Bridgestone B381's.

But I don't mean to diss Michelin. Besides the mileage issue, I am very happy with these tires. I never did like the Bridgestones. They were slick in wet weather and pretty much useless (in fact downright dangerous) in snow.

By comparison, while I haven't had to deal with any "real" snow with the new tires yet, they have performed VERY well in the seemingly never-ending rain we have had here in upstate NY.

I have about 9 tanks to add after I finish this post (I haven't posted or added tanks in awhile because I got wrapped up in the election, and the month long bout with depression that followed) and I suspect this will drop me out of the top ten.

Oh well, safety first, right? And I guess I can actually slow down and drive the speed limit to get my mileage back up

I'm also sure some of this drop is due to the colder weather, so I guess I will have to wait for next Spring to get a better comparison.

MC

Old 12-12-2004, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Could it be the colder temps instead of the tires?

Old 12-13-2004, 06:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The tires are definitely a factor if the rolling resistance number is worse than the B381's number.

Honda chose those B381s specifically for the low rolling resistance and any replacement tires you choose will likely be more resistant to rolling, thus making the engine work harder to push the car.

But as you pointed out, those other tires that "grip" the road better are safer for wet traction and snow work.

I live in Phoenix and rarely if ever have to worry about either situation, so I will replace my tires forever with the B381 for the low rolling resistance benefit.

Old 12-13-2004, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

If the tires are such a big deal why would you buy anything but the stock tires? OMG I just looked up the prices and they are soooooo cheap! You can get a whole set for less than one Vette tire.

Old 12-13-2004, 11:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

What about Michelin energy saving tires? Those would be my choice personally.

Old 12-14-2004, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by blueskies@Dec 14th 2004 @ 2:46 AM
What about Michelin energy saving tires? Those would be my choice personally.
From the environmental Defense dot org website on gas saving tips:

"Switch to low-rolling-resistance tires. "Green" tires like the Michelin Energy combine special tread designs, lighter materials, lower-profile side-walls and higher air pressure to reduce resistance and improve fuel efficiency without sacrificing handling or durability."

I'd consider that tire, if the rolling resistance factor is as low as or near the B381 performance and the price was comparable. I'm looking for a rolling resistance spec for that tire and have yet to locate one...

Old 12-14-2004, 07:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Here is a article for folks to read on Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tires.

http://www.greenseal.org/recommendations/C...eResistance.pdf

Billy

Old 12-14-2004, 10:49 AM

Hi BillyT1963:

___I bet your favorites links are filling up about at about the same rate mine are

___I do wish that the Greenseal list was more up to date. I think I saw it on the Yahoo-Honda-Hybrid groups about a year ago IIRC? Did you notice the B381’s (the HCH’s mainstay) with the lowest LRR numbers in the list? I hope to eventually find the actual LRR numbers on the Bridgestone RE92’s (Insight’s foot wear) and GoodYear Integrity’s (Prius II treads) someday as well.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 12-14-2004, 03:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

xcel,

My favorites do fill up pretty fast, especially with all the hybrid info coming out lately.

After I posted the link I noticed the list was quite old, but I thought it may be some good. I did notice the Bridgestones were the best, but was a little concerned I did not see the Dunlops on my HCH. Of course they may be newer tires than the list.

The site that link was to had some links to other sites about tires. I will probably work on them some tonight.

Billy

Old 12-14-2004, 04:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

The B381's are scary slick, even on dry pavement. The cause my HCH to perform very poorly in cornering manuevers. I am still contemplating replacing them with a tire that has better traction, in spite of the fuel economy penalty.

I will check on the Michelin Energy. Lower profile (B381s are 70 series, yuk) does sound good.

Quick Reply: Michelin Killed the Mileage Star

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands