MPG Dropping?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 04:14 AM
Enthusiast
Default MPG Dropping?

Not sure if this is in my head but I seem to be getting a noticeable drop in MPG lately. I have 3k miles on my '06 HCH.
I thought that during prime conditions, flat road, @40-50 MPH I would get @75 MPG on the insta-guage. Now I struggle to get 50. Any thoughts.
Maybe the first thing I should do is check my tire pressure.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MPG Dropping?

Yes, do. I'm running at 44 psi, the max it says. I don't know if I should press them up more or not.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It was weird but for the first time ever, I held the vehicle at 23 MPH in pure EV mode for about 10 blocks. Abeit it was level road but usually the MPH falls in EV unless I am traveling downhill.

Old 03-09-2006, 07:01 PM

Matt,
That's odd. My experience in my 06 is that if I get it up to 50 mph, then back off completely on the accelerator for a second, followed by just enough accelerator to keep it from regen'ing, it will usually go to and stay in "EV" mode, i.e. mpg at 100 for as long as I can hold it there and the road is flat or slightly downhill. Does this not work for you? Are you backing off the accelerator or holding it steady after you reach speed?

Old 03-09-2006, 07:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toast64
Matt,
That's odd. My experience in my 06 is that if I get it up to 50 mph, then back off completely on the accelerator for a second, followed by just enough accelerator to keep it from regen'ing, it will usually go to and stay in "EV" mode, i.e. mpg at 100 for as long as I can hold it there and the road is flat or slightly downhill. Does this not work for you? Are you backing off the accelerator or holding it steady after you reach speed?
I wouldn't call that EV mode. Can you press the accelerator a bit more so that you get at least one bar of assist, without having the ICE kick in? THAT would be EV mode. Can you get enough power out of the electric motor to maintain a constant 50 MPH? That would REALLY be EV mode.

Old 03-09-2006, 08:47 PM

Elan,
Yes, and yes. Well, not very easily and not for very long on the second "yes". But I understand what you mean, I should not have said "EV mode", since I wasn't using the motor at that point. I should have said "valve closed mode" or something else. Is there an acronym for that? If not, can I coin VCM?

Last edited by toast64; 03-09-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toast64
Elan,
Yes, and yes. Well, not very easily and not for very long on the second "yes". But I understand what you mean, I should not have said "EV mode", since I wasn't using the motor at that point. I should have said "valve closed mode" or something else. Is there an acronym for that? If not, can I coin VCM?
VCM, according to Honda means Variable Cylinder Management, which on the Civic Hybrid = all valves closed and no fuel being consumed. So, the same thing!