MPG meter going down to zero at 70+mph

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 06:54 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default MPG meter going down to zero at 70+mph

Anyone else have this problem with the MPG meter going to zero while driving at higher speeds. I've had this happen a few times mostly while heading down steeper hills/mountains. I was not giving the car much gas so I know it was a faulty reading.

Old 05-31-2006, 08:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MPG meter going down to zero at 70+mph

Originally Posted by birchman2
Anyone else have this problem with the MPG meter going to zero while driving at higher speeds. I've had this happen a few times mostly while heading down steeper hills/mountains. I was not giving the car much gas so I know it was a faulty reading.
It happens at lower speeds too, occasionally. Usually it corrects itself within a couple of seconds. Someone claimed that it's when the gauges are recalibrating or something. I don't know if it's true.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:59 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Yep, even made a comment about it in the "weird thing my HCH2 did" thread.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElanC
It happens at lower speeds too, occasionally. Usually it corrects itself within a couple of seconds. Someone claimed that it's when the gauges are recalibrating or something. I don't know if it's true.
Thanks. Just need to make sure that my car isn't having issues. So far haven't noticed it during low speed driving yet. I don't have many miles logged on my car either.

Old 06-01-2006, 09:25 AM

I've posted about this before... and it happened again today. This occurs at low speed, descending a hill with the engine cool. Someone suggested that I shift the transmission into "S". This DOES work. The gauge immediately goes back to full mpg (all bars).

Some have said this is a calibration mode. I'm wondering if it's just a flaw. It might also be contributing to the fact that all HCHII's report 1 - 2 mpg lower than calculated MPG. Perhaps these periodic "space out's" of the meter are more common than we realize (not looking at the gauge every second!) and cumulatively, they add up to the 1 - 2 mpg deficit per tank???

If someone here with an HCHII uses "S" mode regularly, can you comment on how far off your MPG readings are (meter vs. calculated)? If you're closer than the typical 1 - 2 MPG, then I might be on to something!

Old 06-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Enthusiast

I'm not sure if it really is some type of recalibration or not, but I have noticed that even though it is showing somewhere near 0 MPG the trip MPG meter registers correctly. That is, it continues to go up even though the instantaneous display shows 0 MPG. For that reason it doesn't seem likely this is contributing to the difference between meter and calculated MPG.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:33 PM

I don't think it's calibration but it does have something to do with transition. There is a spot on the 51 as I am going around the Dreamy Draw and starting down into the Valley that it will always do this. I repeat it every day and in the same place. I don't worry about it now but it is sort of wierd.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:03 PM
Enthusiast

I've experienced this too but have not figured out why.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:09 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Could it be related to the engine switching between camshaft speeds?