My 2006 HCH II is a Lemon! Transmission gone bad.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Aneil Mishra, Ph.D.
Default My 2006 HCH II is a Lemon! Transmission gone bad.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but my 2006 HCH II is a lemon! First, I had the farting noise problem addressed, which required a $1940 part (covered under warranty). We'll see if the part replacement fixed it, as a new noise I noticed coming from the front of the car (high-pitched whirring, somewhat like a blender) has required that they put in a WHOLE NEW TRANSMISSION (also covered under warranty). I am told by the service tech that is has happened several times before with this model.

I've already had it serviced for other issues, including a bad wheel bearing in its first year, and having the brake rotors resurfaced in its second year.

I am now very glad I purchased an extended warranty, but this has seriously eroded my trust in Honda's reliability.

Any others with this transmission problem, or other major issues?

Aneil

Old 04-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My 2006 HCH II is a Lemon! Transmission gone bad.

As far as I know the "farting" noise as well as the high pitch "whirring" noise is normal. I, myself, have only experienced the "farting" noise once, but I've read numerous posts on the subject. The high pitched "whirring" noise is definitely normal. I believe it's the electric motor. I hear it all the time and my car is fine.

Jess

Old 04-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

We had so many problems with our regular 2001 Civic (electrical and mechanical), we traded it in for our Altima hybrid and have no regrets.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Sorry for your problems.

Just realize that EVERY car company makes lemons. It happens. Cars are made by humans and humans err.

I am still confident that Honda makes less lemosn than others manufacturers.

I don't mean to take away from your troubles -- it sucks you have to deal with that.

nf

Old 04-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ian33
We had so many problems with our regular 2001 Civic (electrical and mechanical), we traded it in for our Altima hybrid and have no regrets.
I'm sorry, but it's not fair to compare a 2001 Civic with a new hybrid whose base price is $25k.

-
Martin

Old 04-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Enthusiast

so what makes your car a lemon. technically a lemon is a car that the dealership cant figure out or cant fix. sounds to me like you had a couple of bad parts that the honda happily took care of and got you on the road. if i were you i would be happy the problems were taken care of while you are still under warranty and at no cost to yourself. ive worked for honda and nissan and good luck getting anything goodwilled to you from nissan when your car is out of warranty. if you do your maintenence with honda you stand a good chance.

id like to know what you do for a living where everything is perfect everytime?

Old 04-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Enthusiast

The "farting noise" from the brake system is addressed in the owner's manual if that's what you're talking about.
It specifically tells you that you might hear an "embarasing noise" occasionally from the braking system if I remember correctly.
That's not faulty, its WAD (working as designed).

Last edited by cclark; 04-08-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:44 PM
IMAddicted to IMA

There's no need to lose your trust in Honda!

Check out the Consumer Reports magazine all about 08 cars and you'll see that not only is Honda far more realiable than most automakers but specifically the Honda Civic Hybrid is something like 70% more relaible than the average car.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by cclark
The "farting noise" from the brake system is addressed in the owner's manual if that's what you're talking about.
It specifically tells you that you might hear an "embarasing noise" occasionally from the braking system if I remember correctly.
That's not faulty, its WAD (working as designed).
Where? I don't remember reading anything about that in my 2006 owner's manual. I would've found that comment in an owner's manual LOL funny . Maybe they added it into the 2007 or 2008 to try to avoid fixing it. I have this "farting noise" often - yes it IS the car - and it's NOT normal in a normal car. I realize this is a hybrid, and that it makes use of regerative braking, and I am OK with its noises. I'd prefer it not occur, but it's not a big deal to me.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yeah.... I don't remember anything about that in my '07 manual. Do you have a page number?

Quick Reply: My 2006 HCH II is a Lemon! Transmission gone bad.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands