My HCH paid for my Christmas expenses

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 07:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My savings over the last 10 months has paid for my Christmas expenses, which is around $500, the difference between a Civic EX in regards to fuel savings.

Civic EX EPA is 38MPG.
My lifetime average is about 58MPG.
I've driven 30K miles.
Fuel saved is about 260 gallons.
Fuel is around $1.80/Gallon Nat'l price.

I've saved around $500 in less than a year's time.

Or look at it this way:
Similarly equipped EX costs about $17K.
My HCH cost about $18.5K.
That's about $1.5K premium paid for my HCH.
Tax incentive should return about $400 of that premium.
My battery warranty extends to 10 years or 150K Miles.
In 5 years I'll reach 150K miles.
If I've saved ~ $500 each year in fuel over a similarly equipped Civic EX I'll have saved almost $3,000.

I keep all my vehicles for 10 years, so I'll end up with about 300K miles.
I expect the battery pack life to end before the 10 years/300K Miles. What will I do then?
Perhaps I'll be able to find a used replacement but in worse case I'll just drive it with reduced MPG.
Who knows? The way I drive it has a chance to last that long.

I think we can expect gas prices to rise over $2 / gallon in the future. How high will it go? $2.50? Will there be more political trouble in the middle east? ...$3.00 or more?
Bet there will be a big SUV sale then.

I'd never claim that hybrids are the best mile -to-dollar car you can buy.
Better to get an Echo or similar bare bones econo car in that situation.

However if you want the most technological advanced auto to date, potentially fantastic MPG not obtainable with conventional methods, or want to make each and every commute a fun & exciting experience then a hybrid might be for you.

10 Months and I'm still amazed by this wonderful car every drive.

Old 12-29-2004, 09:43 PM

Hi Hot_Georgia_2004:

___Although I believe in what you have written, there are some problems with the analysis with what I see on a daily basis …

___The 05 Civic EX w/ Auto Sedan can be found for the low 16’s in the Chicago area and with your 58 lmpg in the HCH, you can quite easily achieve 48 year round in a Civic EX. Near the end of my time behind the wheel of the Corolla LE w/ Auto, 46 - 50 mpg + was becoming the norm and the Honda Civic’s and Accord’s are easily a mile or ten better then the Corolla’s and Camry’s I have driven.

___Here is a list of automobiles and their FE with non-hybrid trained drivers behind the wheel …

Consumer Reports - Most fuel-efficient vehicles by category

Hwy in particular …

Echo (manual): Achieved 46 mpg w/ the EPA estimates as follows: 35/43 mpg
Civic HCH CVT: Achieved 45 mpg w/ the EPA estimates as follows: 48/47 mpg
Civic EX Auto: Achieved 41 mpg w/ the EPA estimates as follows: 31/38 mpg
Corolla LE Auto: Achieved 39 mpg w/ the EPA estimates as follows: 29/38 mpg

Accord EX I4 Auto: Achieved 38 mpg w/ the EPA estimates as follows: 24/34 mpg
Camry LE I4 Auto: Achieved 35 mpg w/ the EPA estimates as follows: 23/32 mpg
Accord EX V6 Auto: Achieved 34 mpg w/ the EPA estimates as follows: 21/30 mpg
Camry XLE V6 Auto: Achieved 29 mpg w/ the EPA estimates as follows: 21/29 mpg

___Your FE and savings in your HCH are a tremendous boon for the hybrid movement but our Hypermiler FE is not achievable by most in either a hybrid or non-hybrid alike unfortunately In other words, some adjustments might be needed in your analysis is all.

___Good Luck to you and yours this Holiday season.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 12-30-2004, 02:53 AM

I wouldn't doubt the figures for a second.

My old car was rated EPA of 23MPG, but as an uneducated driver in the skills of fuel efficiency the most I could ever squeeze out of her was about 21. Because I didn't believe the dramatic drop in efficiency regarding high freeway speeds, and with all my other bad habits about 17 MPG was typical.

In some regards I am an instant gratification person and with automobiles I'm especially guilty.
Personally if I would have purchased a Civic EX, or a nice Corolla I would never have seriously tried to improve my habits, certainly never sought the advice of skilled hypermilers. After all, it's the efficiency of the car, not the driver, right? :wacko:

With that thought in mind I don't believe I'd ever even reach EPA on those vehicles. 70-80MPH with the family along and gassing it 75-90 or more alone was the norm. I carried a detector and monitored the trucks on CB for speed trap warnings. While on my HCH test drive I was looking for a good place to put my 2-way.

My HCH has completely changed my whole driving attitude in ways no other car could have.
I really can't pin a dollar savings with all that so I'll just have to settle for Christmas expenses

Old 12-30-2004, 09:37 AM

Hi Hot_Georgia_2004:

___You made some very good points and one I had not considered in my post … The Corolla’s FE didn’t really go through the roof until after a few thousand miles of game gauge training in the MDX. This is one aspect that will never show in the calculations, that is a guarantee Now if we could just make graphic type Game Gauges mandatory in all automobiles.

___And enjoy the Christmas presents. I hope you bought a little something for your HCH. If not, how about some winter floor mats? Maybe some Rain-X wiper fluid or how about some Zaino Z2, Z7, and ZFX for that ever present and beautiful long lasting shine? She’s been good to you so don’t forget her this Holiday Season

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net