My tire choice--Michelin Destiny (Harmony)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 02:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default My tire choice--Michelin Destiny (Harmony)

My Dunlop OEMs were finally getting bald after 56k miles (awesome for a 40k tire that people hate so badly). So, I did all the research, read every thread I could find, visited all the web sites, read the green seal report, checked consumer reports, and talked to everyone I could think of... I finally couldn't stomach having to special order any of the documented LRR or OEM tires, so I went with the best I could get at my local Discount Tire (DT).

They have a Michelin Destiny, which I had two different reps at two different locations of DT tell me is the same tire as the Harmony, but branded the Destiny specifically for DT. The specs on the Michelin web site are identical, and also in the michelin dealer catalog. The Harmonys are rated very highly at Tire rack and DT and the reviews are quite favorable with few complaints about fuel economy. Though there's very little data at this site so not many of us have tried them I gather.

So, I bit the bullet and got them. They were on sale for $66 each plus install. I haggled a bit and got the upgraded road hazard (free rather than prorated replacement) for $15 total, so I paid $361 for four tires installed with super-duper road hazard.

I will watch my FE closely through the break-in and after to see how they do. I'll update this post periodically as I gather data. It shouldn't take long, I commute 160 miles a day.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Default Re: My tire choice--Michelin Destiny (Harmony)

Ok, so my first tank on these tires is my lowest tank on record. 39.x mpg. I really hope they improve.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:41 AM
Hybrid-Hugger

what pressure do you have them at?

Old 08-14-2007, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by JavaJ
what pressure do you have them at?
40 psi, same as I used with the OEM Dunlops. My second tank is right there at 39 too.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:12 PM
Enthusiast

Is there such thing as tire break in?

Old 08-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Energy Independence

Yes. Most tires are extra sticky when brand new. Good for traction, bad for MPG.
Not sure if this is causing the majority of the "lower MPG phenomena" that you are experiencing, Zimbop, but it is a factor.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:23 PM

I have two tanks run on these tires now, just over 900 miles. First tank was 39.3, second was 40.9, though on that second tank I had an unusually hurried trip home one day, that was 80 miles at 80 mph instead of 75 mph which usually takes a hit on the tank. So maybe it's getting a little better. The trip odo on the current tank shows 38.6 though. Not so good.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:24 AM

Also, newer tires have more mass (rubber) than older ones. So your FE should get better all the time.

I don't know if you want to consider it, but some tires have a 30-day return policy, which I have used before.

Or is it the August New Mexican heat?

Hope it gets better. Good luck.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

I had the same 'replacement tire' quandry a couple of months ago. I wanted to go with the Sumitoto HTR 200 but couldn't find it anywhere except Tire Rack and the shipping as well as third party installation was too much for me. I ended up getting a Bridgestone Insignia from Tires Plus. My mileage droped considerable but is getting a little better. The tank before the tire change was 650 miles @56mpg (a personal record!). After the tire replacement my mileage droped to around 48. My last tank ended at 51, which is my 'target' so I can't complain too much. I probably have about 3000 miles on the new tires. I increased the tire pressure to the maximum on the side wall which is 44 psi for the bridgestones compared to around 50 psi with the old OEM Dunlops. That could account for some of the decrease in mileage. The ride is better and the traction is a world of difference.

I wouldn't recommend buying the Bridgestones, but I wouldn't recommend against buying them either. I'm neutral towards them. I'm sure there are better choices out there, but I didn't find them. You could do a lot worse. The price was right, $65/tire with free mounting and lifetime balancing. They also had a shuttle to/from work so the convience was nice. Droped it off in the morning and picked it up on the way home. No drinking nasty stale coffee while waiting for them to be installed.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Neil; 08-20-2007 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by noflash

Or is it the August New Mexican heat?
I really have no such variables. This is a direct comparison to the weeks before driving on the old tires in the same heat. And last year with similar temps, etc. I do the same drive the same way 3-5 times per week, so small changes show up pretty easily.

Originally Posted by Neil
I had the same 'replacement tire' quandry a couple of months ago. I wanted to go with the Sumitoto HTR 200 but couldn't find it anywhere except Tire Rack and the shipping as well as third party installation was too much for me.
Good Luck!

Neil, I also considered the HTR200, but the lack of all-season performance scared me away. Actually my Dunlops were great tires, if I could have gotten them again, I would have. I had no complaints about that tire despite its horrible reviews, plus they lasted over 55,000 miles--for a 45k tire that's pretty darn good. I slide around a lot more with the michelins now, but I'm sure that's just because they're still new and soft.

I also went for convenience. I really didn't want some freako tire that I could never get replaced or always had to wait to special order. They would have cost about the same as the michelins but taken a couple weeks to get.

Last edited by zimbop; 08-17-2007 at 11:55 AM.

Quick Reply: My tire choice--Michelin Destiny (Harmony)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands