To NAV or not to NAV?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 01:18 PM
Enthusiast
Question To NAV or not to NAV?

I was all set to get the 06 HCH with NAVi, but now I'm having second thoughts about the NAVi. TomTom (http://www.tomtom.com) makes a nice nav system for about $900 that seems to have all of the features that the Honda NAV system has, and is cheaper to boot. If the Honda NAV display included info on the IMA (current state, et.c) like the Prius does, I would get it in a hearbeat. Anyone know if it does? Otherwise, why is it worth it?

Honda NAV:
- adds $1500 to price
- built in to the dash, no extra wires and mounts
- could be used to display IMA info (does it do this?)

Third-party NAV
- cheaper ($800 for TomTom)
- might get my 06 HCH faster, more color options

I'd be interested in how others made this decision.

Thanks!

Old 11-08-2005, 02:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: To NAV or not to NAV?

As a current owner of vehicles with and without nav, I'd suggest getting the OEM nav if you can afford it. I've owned two different versions of OEM nav systems (1999 and 2005) and I've owned two different manufacturer's portable devices in the same time period. Additionally, I have experience with Honda's system, as my in-laws opted for it in their Odyssey. In my assessment, it's well worth the extra $600 to have the convenience of integrated navigation. You won't be distracted by a display on your dash and you'll spend less time fumbling with wires and programming the unit. Furthermore, you'll have the added convenience of voice-activated controls for the nav and stereo.

Old 11-08-2005, 05:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Im a believer in aftermarket. I have a magellan 700 with the upgrades, what i like about the aftermarket idea is that if you ever take another car or want to lend it to a friend or relative its easier (id rather let my brother use the nav than the car )God forbid you are ever in an accident and are without the car for a month youll still have the nav. Plus id rather spend 800-1000$ once rqather than pay the 1500 (oem) for 4 5 or 6 years on a note with interest. good luck...just my 2c worth. Dean

Old 11-08-2005, 06:46 PM
Enthusiast

Dean makes a good point about the portability of aftermarket products. They're great in rental and loaner vehicles, but I'll have to disagree with the part about paying $800-$1000 once. That's like buying a laptop and expecting to keep it indefinitely. Yes, my Dell laptop from 1995 still runs, but its utility is limited. I'm on my second aftermarket GPS receiver since 2000. Sooner or later, the old technology becomes inadequate. My first GPS unit had manual routing and limited memory for maps and POI interest, so I upgraded. If interest is a concern, include the cost of nav in your down payment. I say get an OEM nav and a portable one for those times when you need it.

Old 11-08-2005, 07:44 PM
Enthusiast

I for one am opting for the NAVI on my '06 HCH. I have it on my new Odyssey and love it. The system works extremely well, and I seem to use it more each time I drive it. I test drove a Civic EX with NAVI last week and the units are virtually identical. On a sunny day in the southwest (NM), I had no problems seeing the display with the sun in any direction.

Unfortunately, it is putting a crimp on my color choice. There are very few NAVI cars coming in the first series of cars. I am #2 in line at my local dealer and right now my only color choice between now and Jan is opal blue. I'll have to see what it looks like when it comes in (hopefully this week or next). Otherwise, I may have to wait for the mag pearl...

Old 11-08-2005, 08:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Eric although it is true that streets change and also POI but thats why i got one that all upgrades are downloadable with a simple usb cable and the proper site. It is pretty cool to have everything in the dash though.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I made the decision based on the bling factor. I didn't really NEED the Navi, I just WANTED it! Yeah, if you've got the extra cash to fork out for it, get it. It's really nice. Plus, it's great to have it already installed in the car. You asked a question about the Honda Navi being tied into the IMA. Yes, kind of. It displays a little more information: like current MPG, distance to empty, average speed, etc.

But then again, everyone else makes a good point about portability. Having an aftermarket unit makes it possible to take it with you in any car you may drive. Like, going on vacation to Delaware. "Yeah, we're in Delaware..." You fly there, rent a car, pop out your handy handheld GPS, and you're good to go!

I have both. My HAH has Navi. And I also own a portable GPS. I mostly use the portable for my motorcycle, but take it with me on trips everywhere I go.

Old 11-09-2005, 04:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

Good arguments both ways. I've heard the Honda software is so so. I would probably opt for the Garmin C330. It's a nice unit, with much more acurate mapping over the Tom Tom units.

Old 11-09-2005, 07:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Dont think it has been mentioned, but you get XM radio with the Nav package. If you listen to radio while driving this is really great, especially on trips. Also, the screen is much bigger on factory NAV. I drive Hondas all the time on dealer transfers and relly like the nav systems.

Old 11-09-2005, 08:02 AM
Accidental Hybrid Fan

We had Nav in my wifes VW Touareg, it was terrible. None of the streets in my town were even on the system. Needless to say that vehicle is now GoNE!
We opted for the non-nav HCH. I have Nav in my Caddy and use it on and off.
I wonder if the Nav system in the HCH has more functions related to the vehicle systems that in the non Nav car. ie does it show average fuel used, economy and such.. like the toyota system.

Quick Reply: To NAV or not to NAV?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands