Navigation Serial Number (--> Unlock Code) - Success

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 04:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default Navigation Serial Number (--> Unlock Code) - Success

Thought I'd post my experience in case anyone else might find this useful.

Background:
Recently bought a used 2008 HCH with the navigation system at a Honda dealer. No navi codes (serial number OR unlock code) were given when I purchased the car. After I did some more reading in the owner's manual, I learned that I need the code if I ever disconnect the battery so I can unlock the navi unit when power is restored.

I went back and talked to the dealer. They would not or could not produce any codes, nor could they find any serial numbers on the car in the usual places, nor did they offer any other solutions. I searched the car all over and couldn't find a tag either . Then they told me they would charge me $102 to pull the unit and read the serial number off the back . I guess they'd also charge me this $102 if they ever did any work that necessitated the battery be disconnected, so they could unlock my navi unit before the car came back to me.

Basically they told me that I was SOL. Wish I'd noticed this before I bought the car so I'd have had some leverage to motivate them to get the code, which should be supplied at no cost when you buy a car -- especially from a dealership.

Solution:
I found out how to get the Serial # from the navi unit display screen itself, even though my dealer, the Honda web site, and another dealer that I called said it can't be done at home. Gotta go to a dealer, they all said.

Here's how: After the navi unit is turned on, hold down the <Map> <Menu> <Cancel> buttons for 3 seconds, until the hidden diagnostic menu comes up. Then go to <Unit Check>, and finally <Navi ECU>. This will display the navi unit serial number on the screen.

THEN, you can go to the Honda ownerlink site and enter the VIN, your address and telephone number, the Serial #, and voila, it produces the unlock code!

The dealer made me angry when they refused to help me get the code on a certified '08 HCH. I'd even purchased the Honda extended warranty from them. "Sorry", they said, "it's your problem".

Sorry if this has been covered already, but I was unable to find any direct solutions like this in my searches on the forum.

I hope this info might help someone else who finds themselves in this predicament.

Last edited by Lindy; 07-29-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Navigation Serial Number (--> Unlock Code) - Success

Thanks for posting this.

It got me speculating if there is a similar procedure with the non-nav radio. Looking through the service manual: there is a procedure for running diagnostic routine, but no mention of obtaining the serial number. FWIW, here's how you initiate the diagnostic mode (for non-Nav radio), with terse description:

1. Set to key to "I" position. Ensure radio is off.
2. Push and hold #1 and #6 radio buttons. While continuing to hold these buttons, push "Vol/PUSH/PWR" button. Then release all buttons. Radio goes into diagnostic mode.

Then by pushing buttons, you start various diagnostics:

Button 3: checks LCD's
Button 4: Duty indication mode, illum. dim.
Button 5: Vehicle speed pulse
FM Button (press and hold 5 sec): Reception check
CD Button (press and hold 5 sec): DRAM residual level check (CD)

Turning radio and/or ingition off will end diagnostics.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 08-10-2009 at 06:21 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:41 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
1. Set to key to "I" position. Ensure radio is off.
2. Push and hold #1 and #6 radio buttons. While continuing to hold these buttons, push "Vol/PUSH/PWR" button. Then release all buttons. Radio goes into diagnostic mode.
Thanks for posting the info for the non-navi unit.

Saw this procedure or something like it on the web and tried it on the navigation unit, but I couldn't get it to work.

Also, in their defense, this is the one thing the service guys at my dealer tried before they told me I was SOL to the tune of $102.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:44 AM
Enthusiast

Lindy,

this is a great help. I never got the radio and navi id card with my new 2009, but the dealer typed up a card (like the original) with the purported codes of the radio and navi on it. I just tested the unit in the car using your directions. it turns out that the navi code was NOT right on the card the dealer gave me (why am I not surprised). It was off by one digit, i think they copied it wrong from their records.

Does anyone know how to get the radio serial number for the navi model? I pressed radio once in diagnostic mode, but it did not show a serial number...I want to check that too.

thanks again,

Mark

Old 08-11-2009, 09:42 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msk914
Does anyone know how to get the radio serial number for the navi model? I pressed radio once in diagnostic mode, but it did not show a serial number...I want to check that too.
Mark, I think that you need ONLY this code to unlock our navi/radio combo unit. I believe the "Radio Serial Number" reference is relevant only for people who have a regular radio and not the navi unit.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think this is right.

Guess I'll find out for sure the first time I unhook the battery.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The last time I unhooked our battery I first connected a 500 milliAmp trickle charger I had (described as a Motorcyle Battery Charger). The positive battery terminal lead has a smallish hold-down bolt attaching a secondary cable. I connected the charger's positive wire to that, and the neg. wire to an adjacent engine grounding cable hold-down bolt.

With that connected and plugged into 110 volt for duration of the 12 volt battery disconnection, no codes or presets were lost: it provided sufficient electricity to preserve all memories.

I appreciate this is a stop-gap proceedure, and it would be really nice to have the codes.

These codes seem to be of borderline benefit: what are the odds of someone taking your radio, with it's very specific shape and application, vs the hassle this imposes?

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 08-11-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Enthusiast

There might be only one code ---> the service book for the car did have the correct code for the navi in it (written in) and matching the number I got from the online site. The service book had no code written in for the radio, implying at least that the one code will do. We'll see I guess.

again, thanks,

Mark

Old 10-14-2009, 12:07 PM
Enthusiast

plz anyway to get code for garmin navi 710?

Old 12-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Lindy...It was a great help

Old 09-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Enthusiast

I have a new issue related to the Nav Unlock Code. 06 HCH, changed my 12V battery and the Nav/Radio unit needed the unlock code. I entered the code that came with the car and has worked in the past but it says "invalid code entered". Tried the online code retrieval service but was locked out likely due to messing up a phone number or something. The dealer parts guy gave me 5 digit code but it only needs 4. He likely gave me a radio only code. I will try and call Honda next week but I don't expect results. Anyone have the original code "go Bad"?

Quick Reply: Navigation Serial Number (--> Unlock Code) - Success

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands