Navigation Serial Number (--> Unlock Code) - Success

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 05:34 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Navigation Serial Number (--> Unlock Code) - Success

I've got to add my two cents because this is just absurd.

I purchased a second-hand HCH2 in Arkansas. Drove it back to New Hampshire whre I live and learned about needing a code if I ever disconnect the battery.

So I went to Honda and asked if they could retrieve it. With some smiles and prodding, I got the guy to come out and retrieve the serial number and code for me.

Two days ago I disconnected the 12 volt battery. Guess what. The code he gave me didn't work. Bringing it back to Honda and they want to charge me $100 to take the dash apart to get the serial number off of the unit so they can get the code. Does anyone else smell a load of bull sh*%! What has happened to HONDA!!! This is the MOST absurd thing I've ever heard of!

I know this unit came with this car... right? "Hey Honda guy, go to your computer and LOOK IT UP! I'll give you a dime for your trouble!

This is right up there with a spare key for the car for $150! Come on!!!

Ross

Old 09-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daveyd
I have a new issue related to the Nav Unlock Code. 06 HCH, changed my 12V battery and the Nav/Radio unit needed the unlock code. I entered the code that came with the car and has worked in the past but it says "invalid code entered". Tried the online code retrieval service but was locked out likely due to messing up a phone number or something. The dealer parts guy gave me 5 digit code but it only needs 4. He likely gave me a radio only code. I will try and call Honda next week but I don't expect results. Anyone have the original code "go Bad"?
Success!.. I used the SN retrieved using the instructions from the first post in this string and called Honda America. They said the original code was valid but there was another code associated with the newly found SN. ??? They said it would require both numbers but the new code worked the first time by itself. I believe the online retreval would have worked had I not entered something wrong. Honda also unlocked my VIN while we were at it.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:23 AM
Tight Wad

Originally Posted by Lindy
THEN, you can go to the Honda ownerlink site and enter the VIN, your address and telephone number, the Serial #, and voila, it produces the unlock code!
How does this ownerlink site work. Do you have the URL? I'd like to see what it is all about. Should a new owner of a used Civic go there and register the VIN number along with other information?

Old 10-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Think green.

You can "google" honda owner link, or try this:

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login....Fprod_home.asp

Old 09-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you so much! I replaced my battery today and all of a sudden I couldn't hear the radio, play CD's, see what time it was or use my GPS.

After googling I found this information and it took a while, but I think I'm all set again!

Yea!

Old 11-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: Navigation Serial Number (--> Unlock Code) - Success

Thought I'd post my experience in case anyone else might find this useful.

Here's how: After the navi unit is turned on, hold down the <Map> <Menu> <Cancel> buttons for 3 seconds, until the hidden diagnostic menu comes up. Then go to <Unit Check>, and finally <Navi ECU>. This will display the navi unit serial number on the screen.
Lindy,

I want to have your baby.

Moss Brothers Honda in Moreno Valley tried to rip me off with this scam... and after I OVERPAID for their car which was supposed to be CERTIFIED USED which means that effing sticker should of been in there. So again, thank you Linda!

Last edited by djbat; 11-02-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:01 AM
Enthusiast

Background:
Recently bought a used 2008 HCH with the navigation system at a Honda dealer. No navi codes (serial number OR unlock code) were given when I purchased the car. After I did some more reading in the owner's manual, I learned that I need the code if I ever disconnect the battery so I can unlock the navi unit when power is restored.

I went back and talked to the dealer. They would not or could not produce any codes, nor could they find any serial numbers on the car in the usual places, nor did they offer any other solutions. I searched the car all over and couldn't find a tag either . Then they told me they would charge me $102 to pull the unit and read the serial number off the back . I guess they'd also charge me this $102 if they ever did any work that necessitated the battery be disconnected, so they could unlock my navi unit before the car came back to me.

Basically they told me that I was SOL. Wish I'd noticed this before I bought the car so I'd have had some leverage to motivate them to get the code, which should be supplied at no cost when you buy a car -- especially from a dealership.

Solution:
I found out how to get the Serial # from the navi unit display screen itself, even though my dealer, the Honda web site, and another dealer that I called said it can't be done at home. Gotta go to a dealer, they all said.

Here's how: After the navi unit is turned on, hold down the <Map> <Menu> <Cancel> buttons for 3 seconds, until the hidden diagnostic menu comes up. Then go to <Unit Check>, and finally <Navi ECU>. This will display the navi unit serial number on the screen.

THEN, you can go to the Honda ownerlink site and enter the VIN, your address and telephone number, the Serial #, and voila, it produces the unlock code!

The dealer made me angry when they refused to help me get the code on a certified '08 HCH. I'd even purchased the Honda extended warranty from them. "Sorry", they said, "it's your problem".

Sorry if this has been covered already, but I was unable to find any direct solutions like this in my searches on the forum.

I hope this info might help someone else who finds themselves in this predicament.
Attention all readers. This does NOT work. The screen will just continue to ask for the code. It apparently only works if you have a functioning Navi unit, which makes it pretty much useless since people with functioning Nav units don't need this info.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:26 PM
Enthusiast

Background:
Recently bought a used 2008 HCH with the navigation system at a Honda dealer. No navi codes (serial number OR unlock code) were given when I purchased the car. After I did some more reading in the owner's manual, I learned that I need the code if I ever disconnect the battery so I can unlock the navi unit when power is restored.

I went back and talked to the dealer. They would not or could not produce any codes, nor could they find any serial numbers on the car in the usual places, nor did they offer any other solutions. I searched the car all over and couldn't find a tag either . Then they told me they would charge me $102 to pull the unit and read the serial number off the back . I guess they'd also charge me this $102 if they ever did any work that necessitated the battery be disconnected, so they could unlock my navi unit before the car came back to me.

Basically they told me that I was SOL. Wish I'd noticed this before I bought the car so I'd have had some leverage to motivate them to get the code, which should be supplied at no cost when you buy a car -- especially from a dealership.

Solution:
I found out how to get the Serial # from the navi unit display screen itself, even though my dealer, the Honda web site, and another dealer that I called said it can't be done at home. Gotta go to a dealer, they all said.

The dealer made me angry when they refused to help me get the code on a certified '08 HCH. I'd even purchased the Honda extended warranty from them. "Sorry", they said, "it's your problem".

Sorry if this has been covered already, but I was unable to find any direct solutions like this in my searches on the forum.

I hope this info might help someone else who finds themselves in this predicament.
I’m goodness thank U thank U thank U you saved me so much time for finding this thread I to bought a Honda CRV 2008 and had absolutely no idea what to do all the other reset buttons and things didn’t work and then I read yours actually just signed up on the site to thank you because it took about 45 minutes to an hour of research and once I read your post five minutes and it’s done you’re awesome thanks so much