Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 11:11 AM
Enthusiast
Default Need advice

I contacted local dealers in my area and one of them said that they have one coming soon. So he talked me into putting down a deposit which I did since I am serious about buying and also the dealer mentioned that the dep. is fully refundable.

THe dealer called after a while and said that the car that was expected has been swapped with another dealer and hence they will be getting a HCH 06 with 40 miles on it instead.

So my questions to you guys is since the car already has 40 miles on it will the dealer be willing to give a discount and if yes how much should I ask for??

Thanks in advance

Old 05-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Need advice

40 miles means someone test drove it and didn't like it and refused delivery.

That's a tough call...

Old 05-19-2006, 11:20 AM
06 HCH Opal Blue Pearl

They "might" give you a free oil change, if that. Its not unusual to see a new car with 40 miles on it. Could have been driven from the dealer that did the swap, 40 miles away? I think mine had 20 something. Wouldn't give it a thought at all. I am sure they won't be giving any sort of $ discount.

Old 05-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I wouldn't take it.

Who knows what happend to it?

Old 05-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

Any clue where the "other Dealer" is they are getting it from? My guess would be it is at least a few miles away, so they drive the car from the other dealer and part of the 40 miles is that "transportation". If you would prefer a car with only a couple of miles on it, ask the delaer when the next one is coming in and wait. I really see no issue with 40 miles, so if it was me, I would ask if they might throw in something, like an oil change, but would take it regardless.

Old 05-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ioimparo
So my questions to you guys is since the car already has 40 miles on it will the dealer be willing to give a discount and if yes how much should I ask for??
Well, considering some dealers have tried to sell me used yesteryear civic hybrids with thousands of miles on it for $$$ thousands more than the MSRP of a new '06 hybrid, I doubt you'll get anything out of it. Because the next person in line will test drive it and think it is new and take it before the ignition is even turned off. My advice? Take or or leave it.

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 05-19-2006, 11:39 AM

Not a HCH, but my Ford Escape Hybrid had 72 miles on it at time of purchase. About 10 of those miles were from our test drive of it, the rest were I presume from the car show it had been taken to (my dealer tags from the key ring say "Car Show" on 'em; never did find out what car show my FEH had been taken to.) No issues and I was happy it was that low, though I know it feels odd wondering where else it's been before you got it.

My Corolla in '92, purchased new, had 32 miles on it, for comparison. I don't remember how many miles my husband's '01 Ford F150 pickup had on it when purchased, but the dealer let him drive it home and park it in our garage (to be sure it would fit), and drive it back. Miles easily get put on during test drives.

Old 05-19-2006, 11:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

In my book - 40 miles is considered a new car! I doubt you'll get anything off for it. If you like the car buy it and enjoy.

Eric

Old 05-19-2006, 11:58 AM

Actually, the dealer is supposed to drive it as part of PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection). On top of that, there's a mile or so for transit (factory to port... port to ship... ship to port... port to truckaway or rail... truck to dealer lot). There should be 10 - 15 miles just for that... so you're only dealing with an excess of 25 to 30 miles. That's just a few test drives or dealer transfer. I'd be shocked if the dealer gave you any credit for that!

Old 05-19-2006, 01:45 PM

Mine came with 6 miles on it.

Quick Reply: Need advice

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands