Negative Camber Problem; What You Need To Do To Get The Upper Control Arms Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Negative Camber Problem; What You Need To Do To Get The Upper Control Arms Replac

I don't own a hybrid, but have a 2007 Lx sedan. I had the same problem but only after my tires were rotated. The service advisor told me that there was a TSB and because my tires had "normal wear" at 14,865 miles I would have to pay for the tires myself. I contacted American Honda and they opened a case for me and suggested I try to work this out with my local dealer's service manager, Wetzel Dodge Honda of Richmond Indiana (Wetzel Family Auto Cruise). If he or she could not assist me in replacing my tires, then the service manager should involve the GPSM for this area. Needless to say, the service manager was very helpful and said that they would fix the car according to the TSB, and replace my two tires for free. Great experience with this dealership in Indiana. I would recommend keeping the pressure on the dealership and Honda. The owners of these cars did not cause the tire issues and should not be liable to replace them.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Negative Camber Problem; What You Need To Do To Get The Upper Control Arms Replac

I made an appointment at Motor Werks in Barrington, IL to get this work done. The service mgr was upfront with me that this is his first case with the issue but he was aware of the TSB and will have it fixed in a day. unfortunately, no so much could be said about the tires. Since I have 29K on them he said I could fight with Honda but they, at best, would pick up 1 tire. Since I hate the Dunlops anyway I think I'll get a new set of tires that actually have traction beyond 70 degree, dry, sunny days. So far, I've been very happy with Motor Werks having used them for service and I would highly recommend them. They are not a large Honda dealer but their service more than makes up for it.

Last edited by medicmike; 03-22-2008 at 09:12 AM. Reason: add dealer comments
Old 03-21-2008, 11:01 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Negative Camber Problem; What You Need To Do To Get The Upper Control Arms Replac

Called Tempe Honda (Tempe, AZ) and told them about the service bulletin. They told me to bring it in and they did the work no questions asked. Alignment was also done.

I had already purchased new tires a few months ago so I did not push for that.

A very positive experience.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks For All The Dealership Info!!!

Old 03-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Enthusiast

For those that haven't had the TSB work performed yet, would you mind reading the numbers off of your 2006-2007 HCH "incorrect" rear upper control arms (left or right) and posting them for me? Also, please include the build date of your HCH if possible (look at the sticker on the driver's door jam).

Thanks.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Enthusiast

That extended warranty is good info to know.
I believe the new tires have not yet worn enough to create the pulsating and singing noise.
I am curious, which tires came with your HCH, Dunlap or Bridgestone?

--Peterg

Old 03-23-2008, 08:50 PM

Mine came with dunlops, but i have an 07. Does it go by location or is it just time of manufacture or what? It seems kind of odd to use 2 different types of tires on one car. By the way, the Dunops suck

Old 03-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Enthusiast

I have an 2006 Honda Civic Si with Honda Factory 18 wheels. The original Dunlop tires were wore out with the diagonal cupped tread wear noted in the TSB in about 10,000 miles and the ride was excessive and harsh. Honda replaced the tires after I complained but the wear problem remains. The tire wear and rough ride is only bearable by constant tire rotation which is a Band-Aid and not a fix!

Does anyone know why this recall is limited to all 2006-2007 Civics EXCEPT for the Si? Can I install these parts on my Si and will they help? Thanks to all for the information on this forum.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:28 PM

Negative Camber helps handling.

This is standard on many sports cars and bimmers. Inside tire wear comes standard on bimmers.

I remember when the new Civic was comming out and they bragged this Honda had the lowest wheel gap of any previous Honda. Wheel gap refers to the spaces between the tire and the fender.

The previous generation Hondas were extremely popular with the Fast'n'Furious crowd who lowered the suspension and wheel gap and increased negative camber.

I think this is all a result of catering to that effort. Si's may not be included because Si's are more performance-oriented and hadling might suffer if you lose some of your negative camber.

The complaints might come after the "Fix" from Si owners that their handling took a hit. Less complaints from the other Civic owners.

From the start I always thought you could noticeably see the excessive negative camber of this gen Civic. I always assumed they were going more for performance.

I have not noticed excessive wear in my '06 and '07 (18 and 6 months old). I rotate my tires every six months.

I have kinda been waiting to get the fix until more info comes out. This Si exclusion and the fact that this is not a recall and a fix by request could lend to my theory.

Ian

Old 03-24-2008, 12:46 PM

NF is right. There is more info on it at 8thcivic.com. Some Si owners over there have actually gotten their upper control arms replaced FOC at the dealership.

Quick Reply: Negative Camber Problem; What You Need To Do To Get The Upper Control Arms Replaced

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands