New 2005 Civic Hybrid owner! :-)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 11:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default New 2005 Civic Hybrid owner! :-)

I just got back from the dealership with my brand new 2005 Civic Hybrid - automatic. It's great! So smoooth! Granted, I'm coming from a 1992 Ford Taurus that has seen better days. I managed to avergae 42.7 MPG on the way back from the Honda delaership today, and I'm very happy!

I got the Magnesium Metallic color...very nice looking. I opted for the "Touch of Class" stain protector thingy, alarm system, door guards, fenderwell trim, fog lights, wheel locks, chrome exhaust, and 7 year 75,000 mile service warranty. Can't wait to get all the accessories installed someime next week.

Anyway, just saying hi. Great site here!

-Ed

Old 06-19-2005, 06:27 AM
Enthusiast
Cool Re: New 2005 Civic Hybrid owner! :-)

Congratulations on your new HCH. I bought one in April, but selected the Opal Silver Blue Metallic color. I'm still unlearning a lot of my old driving habits built up over 40 years, and re-learning how to drive with a hybrid. But I enjoy the car, and I know you will too. That CVT is really smooth. When I bought my daughter a Civic in '96, the salesman showed us a car with a CVT, but I was reluctant to try anything new since she would have been on the road alot between home and college in Abilene TX, so I went with what I knew and bought the "normal" automatic. Again, welcome to the HCH family. May you and your HCH enjoy many miles together.

Old 06-19-2005, 09:52 AM
Site Founder
Default Re: New 2005 Civic Hybrid owner! :-)

Congrats and welcome. Look forward to seeing you 'round.

Old 06-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Great purchase Ed. I too have a 2005 HCH automatic and love the quiet, smooth ride. You will love your new car!

Old 06-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the warm welcome :-) I am enjoying it immensely so far!

One question...can someone explain the ECON mode for the air? I'm a bit confused as to what it actually does. Thanks!

Old 06-19-2005, 05:45 PM
Brains of the Operation

The ECON button allows you to manually override the Autostop feature when you want to keep the AC in your car running at a stoplight. That is, if the ECON light is on, your car's engine will shut off when you stop. If the light is off, and you have the AC on, your car will stay running.

Notice that when you turn off your AC, the ECON light turns off as well. This is because your car will ALWAYS perform an Autostop if you're not running the AC; it has no other reason to keep the engine on. So the only function of the ECON is to keep the car powering your AC when it's so hot and sunny out that you can't bear to sit in the heat for a while at a stop.

If the ECON mode is on, and you have your fan set at a speed other than AUTO, you'll notice the air coming out of your vents suddenly go warm - the engine (and thus the AC compressor) has stopped, but the fans are still blowing. If the fan speed is set on AUTO, the vents will stop blowing air of any temperature. When it's really hot (this happens every day in SC now), I like to let my AC shut off at a stoplight but keep the fans running, providing at least a little heat relief until my AC starts up again at the green light.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your new car! I just got mine two weeks ago, and I'm definitely still in the honeymoon phase.

Old 06-19-2005, 05:59 PM
Enthusiast

You should write that part of the manual! Your explanation makes perfect sense. Thanks! Another great little thing this car does to impress me.

Yes, I am also in the honeymoon phase (second day with the car) but if everything holds up as is, I am a very happy camper!

My buddy drives a Minicooper and cares about performance but thinks the Civic Hybrid fits me well since he's always making fun of my slow and careful driving I'll be the one laughing when I fill my tank once to his every 3 or 4 times! Maybe even better than that

Anyone interested in buying a used 1992 Ford Taurus with paint damage, broken water pump, faulty front door, and new tires? Oh, and the AC doesn't work. Hehehe!

Old 06-19-2005, 06:16 PM
Brains of the Operation

I'm in just about the same boat as you there - I'm now trying to sell my 1991 Isuzu Pickup with no A/C, faulty front door, paint damage. Not going so well. I just had a call from a guy who was standing out by my truck reading my For Sale sign (I'm working a late night in the lab, so I can't go see him) but his first comment was "Man, your truck is f'ed up."

Yikes. It's still got a good heart, the ol' PuP. 4 wheel drive, perfect engine. Anyone desperate for a vehicle that will make you fit right in down South please message me - I'm your man!

Old 06-19-2005, 07:43 PM
Enthusiast

I'm going to donate my Taurus to a charity and write it off. The Honda dealership said they could do $50 or $100 as trade in

Old 06-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Welcome!

I also have a HCH 2005 in Magenesium Metallic with the CVT. I love this car! Even on a bad day I get at least 45 mpg. In the winter in AZ, I was getting 51, now with running the A/C, I get 46-48 mpg. I tried to just use the "fan" at a light, but when the temp is over 100 degrees, the light seems to take forever, so I temporarily shut off the econ button and press it again, once I have stopped.

Good Luck with it and welcome to this great site!

Last edited by azwildbill2; 06-19-2005 at 09:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: New 2005 Civic Hybrid owner! :-)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands