New 2008 HCH - a noob gets 61.2mpg!

Old 07-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Enthusiast
Default New 2008 HCH - a noob gets 61.2mpg!

I just wanted to drop a line and thank everyone here for posting and sharing your experience with others. I have been commuting 60 miles round trip for 8 years. Feeling the pinch of almost $100 a week for gas (F-150 supercrew) I bought a civic hybrid. While waiting for it to arrive, I read messages on a few forums and felt hopeful that I would achieve EPA estimates of 45mpg hwy. I drove round trip today for an average of 61.2 mpg! I am still working on my dealership tank and am improving daily. This wouldn't have been possible without the help I received here. Thank you very much!

PS. Tarabell's article put it all in place for me. A special thanks is needed and to xcel for the editing.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: New 2008 HCH - a noob gets 61.2mpg!

Welcome!

It's a great feeling, isn't it? It can be addictive, so get ready for it.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Congratulations! If you're doing that well already, I can't wait to see how well you do with a little more break in!

Old 07-11-2008, 03:57 AM
HypoFueler

James - way to go!

Even if you floor the HCH2 and get it up to ~108mph, I think it may still give you better FE than your truck

Old 07-11-2008, 06:14 AM
Excited to have it!

James,
Yes, I agree wholeheartedly about this forum. It is extremely helpful, especially for those that have been waiting on our HCH to arrive from Japan for nearly 2 months!

I took delivery of mine last night (AAA brings it to the house) and the guy asked if I had any questions and I didn't. I already know everything he could tell me, mostly because of this forum. For that, I say, "Thank you to all who post!" I, for one, appreciate it!

Since it was storming badly all evening, I drove it for the first time in to work this morning. The iFCD said I got 60.8 MPG on the 25 mile trip. I was pretty excited, especially since the AC was on for a few minutes before I realized it, but I know I'll have to use the AC some this afternoon.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:59 AM
Enthusiast

Pascha, congrats on your new ride. I'm more excited about mine every day. I was dreading it at first but knew I had to get away from the truck. Now I love that car.

Originally Posted by pascha
since the AC was on for a few minutes before I realized it, but I know I'll have to use the AC some this afternoon.
What gets me about this is I was driving with the AC on auto 74 degrees. Today I only acheived 58.6 on the way to work but I could tell where I was being inconsistent based on yesterday's drive. BTW, I did air up the tires Wednesday evening.

I do have a question for all of you. As I close in on a congested area and attempt to let the car glide to slow down vs. brakes/regen, I have found that sometimes I get the car in what feels like an eternal glide where speed decreases *very* slowly and I'm at one bar short of 100mpg on the iFCD. At first, I thought I was doing the glide mentioned in Tarabell's article but then found that if I remove my foot from the accelerator and then re-apply lightly, I can feel the slight lurch as the valves close. I lose speed much quicker with the valve closed glide than with the "95mpg" glide. Is the "95mpg" glide what is called lean burn? I'm sorry if I sound crazy. I'm trying to describe it as best I can. Thank you!

Old 07-11-2008, 08:23 AM
HypoFueler

James,

its good that you are not burning gas then braking as you slow/approach congestion (or off ramps, turns, lights...)

I tend to lift pressure off throttle, watch 1-2 regen (green) bars appear then reapply a LITTLE presure to cancel out regen. Your iFCD should be at 100mpg at this point. I have lately swiched over to metric (l/100km) where it is easier to see ZERO fuel rate.

Good luck.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JamesN

I do have a question for all of you. As I close in on a congested area and attempt to let the car glide to slow down vs. brakes/regen, I have found that sometimes I get the car in what feels like an eternal glide where speed decreases *very* slowly and I'm at one bar short of 100mpg on the iFCD. At first, I thought I was doing the glide mentioned in Tarabell's article but then found that if I remove my foot from the accelerator and then re-apply lightly, I can feel the slight lurch as the valves close. I lose speed much quicker with the valve closed glide than with the "95mpg" glide. Is the "95mpg" glide what is called lean burn? I'm sorry if I sound crazy. I'm trying to describe it as best I can. Thank you!
I think that is driving using gas in the 95mpg efficiency range. The fact that you are using a little gas to propell yourself is why it goes faster than on a full glide.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Great Mileage and Green

Okay, I am NOT jealous of that mileage...item of note....keep repeating that phrase over and over and over.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the great gas mileage.