New Accessory: Trunk Hooks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default New Accessory: Trunk Hooks!!!

More earth-shattering HCH news.

It's not on Handa's accessory website yet, but if you build your HCH on Honda's website they have a trunk hook for $10. Definately useful and affordable.

First one to get it has to write a detailed review!

nf

Old 10-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: New Accessory: Trunk Hooks!!!

Is this for the trunk net?
Either way it would be nice for something to be back there so everything doesn't slide around. After searching around here it seems there is no "hybrid" trunk net

Old 10-07-2008, 12:19 PM

Still no net. Try an aftermarket on.

Here's honda's pic of the hooks, hard to see really.

Conveniently holds shopping bags by their handles to keep goods in the bag and not all over the trunk.
  • Injection molded for toughness
  • Four separate hangers per hook
  • Presets for simple installation

Last edited by noflash; 10-07-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Think green.

I use a cardboard box. Yeah, el-cheapo, but it works for me.

You could probably run a bungie-cord or rope across the trunk hinges to do what they seem to be doing to hold up bags like that.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:25 AM

That seems a little cheesy to me. I use a collapsible tote basket.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:09 AM
Enthusiast

My last car (Audi A4) had hooks that folded down for the purpose of holding shopping bags. They were spring-loaded to return to a folded-up position when not in use.

Great feature, and one I miss very much on my HCH-II. I might look into that.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

I like it! Can't wait to see them able to be ordered!

Old 10-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just check collegehillshonda and don't see them available yet...anyone know if available on line yet?

Old 10-31-2008, 04:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Today is Halloween, and our HCH is now with us ONE YEAR! Of course, since the car is white, his name is Casper.

To celebrate his birthday, I bought a Trunk Hook at my local dealership (Beaverton, OR) for just under $9, using an expired dealer coupon they'd sent me.

Forgive me for not having included a picture, but here's my review: It's black molded plastic, with three upcurving hooks that should hold shopping bags just fine.

It came with all sorts of warnings, including death (perfect for 10/31!) should one misuse the product (towing skateboarders, or securing a victim to the trunk hook by the neck?), and a warning that the load limit is SIX POUNDS, but no instructions or pictures at all. When I do mechanical work, it's dangerous enough with instructions, worse without.

So here's the deal: the hook assembly has kind of a recessed socket in the middle, and there's a bolt, an elongated nut, a washer, and a lock washer. So....I stuck the bolt into the socket's hole, and with my finger behind the socket, pushed the hanger up through one of the holes in the bar at the top of the trunk, and worked toward getting the nut onto it from within that tiny space inside the beam, thinking all the while that I wish I had tiny, dextrous, Japanese fingers, which my wonderful oral surgeon (she's cute, incidentally) is blessed with.

I managed to lose the nut in that beam, & since I unwisely was doing this parked by my dealer, I just said to heck with that and drove home. While trying to recover the nut, I found it went down into the compartment inside the left rear fender, and I'll only hope it doesn't become my car's first rattle.

Then it came to me: duh! The elongated nut goes in the column, and the bolt is pushed down through a hole, and they meet. (Incidentally, the hook assembly has a small finger-y thing that helps keep it from rotating, which fits into an adjoining hole in the beam.) Well, I did the equivalent using a metric nut I had at home, with a drive socket temporarily attached. I used some Loc-tite so it wouldn't slip, and the hook seems solid enough.

I haven't yet tried the hook with loaded grocery bags, but I think either the cloth or plastic bags should work fine with this. It definitely seems sturdy enough to hold a couple of bags of groceries, particularly if they are resting on the floor and this just keeps the bottles from crashing into the eggs.

There's my first review here! Incidentally, we're happy with Casper. A few weeks ago, we went up from Portland to Seattle to visit friends, drove around in Seattle, and drove home. 52 MPG. Last week, we went up to Sisters, OR to visit other friends. The mountains were tough on mileage: 48 MPG. My license plate frame says: "CAUTION: Smug Emissions!"

Old 10-31-2008, 05:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Cool! Gotta get 'the hook'! Casper is doing well with 52 mpg. Congrats!
Will one hook only fit, or is there the opportunity to put two in the trunk?

Quick Reply: New Accessory: Trunk Hooks!!!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands