New Tires = Very, Very Poor Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 05:55 AM
Enthusiast
Angry New Tires = Very, Very Poor Mileage

OK only 25,000 miles and our car needed new tires . We fought with the dealership and had no luck. Finally Honda of America agreed to split the price of the 4 new tires we needed.

We went to another dealership and had 4 new Bridgestone P195/65R15 89T M+S installed on our Honda. It has been one week and we are down from 42 mpg to 34mpg. Both computer and real numbers are this bad.

Any Ideas?

Old 02-15-2007, 07:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Tires = Very, Very Poor Mileage

Yeah, they are probably not Low-Rolling Resistance tires (LLR). What model are they?

Also, have you checked your tire pressure?

Old 02-15-2007, 07:20 AM
Enthusiast

I have no idea if they are (LLR). I figured that the dealer would get and install the correct tires.

I am not sure what Model they are? I only know the info form the tire "Bridgestone P195/65R15 89T M+S". Not sure if that helps. Also I did check the tire pressure and it read fine

Thanks for the input

Old 02-15-2007, 07:54 AM

go to tirerack and see what the OEM tire is... you should always buy the OEM tire or find one that matches the spec.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:13 AM
World's First Hybrid

What year HCH do you have? The 05HCH uses 185 width tires and 70 height to width ratio. If you put a wider tire on your car, you will increase road friction. Make sure you have the pressure as high as possible per the sidewall spec stamped on the tire.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:05 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks. we have an 06 Civic. Also a bit of an update

We went to another tire place and they said the new tires (Bridgestone P195/65R15) are NOT Low-Rolling Resistance tires (LLR). However they said it should not make that big of a swing on the mpg. The tire pressure is the same as with the old tires, so I am still not sure what is happening. The new tire place is recommending Michelin tires that cost more but are Low-Rolling Resistance tires (LLR). We are looking into our options now. 34 mpg, just is not going to cut it for us.

All driving conditions are the same . Outside temp., is the same if not a bit warmer. Same roads and commute to work.

Also the OEM tires that where thread bare after 25,000 miles was mostly highway driving, very little city driving.

I am going to try tire rack now

Old 02-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Amazing Honda would split the cost with you on tires. They are a wear item and they have no control over their life based on many factors.

You should be glad you were able to get 25k, many of us Prius Classic owners are lucky to get 16-18k out of our tires.

What is the max sidewall pressure indicated on the new tires? What is the actual pressure you are running in them?

best of luck with your hunt for tires.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TonyK
Amazing Honda would split the cost with you on tires. They are a wear item and they have no control over their life based on many factors.

You should be glad you were able to get 25k, many of us Prius Classic owners are lucky to get 16-18k out of our tires.

What is the max sidewall pressure indicated on the new tires? What is the actual pressure you are running in them?

best of luck with your hunt for tires.
Thanks for the feedback. I have the max tire pressure set to the max on the side walls. I think 42 psi, but I will check again after work.

Honda agreed to split the tires with us because the tread was very very very uneven. Only the middle of the tire was bald (wires where exposed). Two dealers said this was from not rotating the tires and poor aliment. We had our receipts that we had the tires rotated and aligned at the Honda dealership. After fighting with them, they agreed that we did what was expected of us and “maybe” someone might have forgotten to rotate the tires at the dealership

Old 02-15-2007, 11:28 AM

Are all tires M+S (mud and snow), if not, why did you get these tires? Are you using them as a snow set?

Old 02-15-2007, 11:34 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
Are all tires M+S (mud and snow), if not, why did you get these tires? Are you using them as a snow set?

WOW I had no idea what M+S was. No we are using them for everyday driving. Thanks for the input. I guess I blindly had faith in the Honda dealership. First time owning a Honda. I guess I am learning

Quick Reply: New Tires = Very, Very Poor Mileage

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands