Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   Newbie HCH Questions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/newbie-hch-questions-6359/)

spjctim 03-12-2006 06:37 AM

Newbie HCH Questions

Hi,
This is my first post. I'm thinking of buying an '06 HCH fairly soon. I'm leaning towards the non-nav model to save a couple of $$. I also want to get the tax credit. I read somewhere that the tax-credit ends when Honda sells 60,000 hybrids. Has this hapended yet? How will I know if it happens and I'm left without the tax-credit?

Also, does anyone know a good Honda dealer in the Florida area that will not try the typical car dealer B.S.? Any other advice to a future (first time) HCH owner would be appreciated.

Thanks again for all the help! :)

AZMerf 03-12-2006 07:15 AM

Re: Newbie HCH Questions

That is correct on the tax credit. It's by manufacturer and it's a total of 60K cars (not specific models). On the good side, Honda is only expected to sell 30K (at most) HCH and a few Accords. You will have nothing to worry about with Honda in 2006. Toyota on the other hand is expected to produce 100K Prius' this year in addition to Camarys, Hylanders, and Lexi.

enp83 03-12-2006 01:17 PM

"at most" 30k HCH gen 2s for '06? I thought they sold 30k '05 HCHs and they were going to increase production a bit? Either way, even with Insight and HAH sales I don't think you have to worry about losing the full tax credit with Honda for '06.

ElanC 03-12-2006 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by enp83
"at most" 30k HCH gen 2s for '06? I thought they sold 30k '05 HCHs and they were going to increase production a bit? Either way, even with Insight and HAH sales I don't think you have to worry about losing the full tax credit with Honda for '06.

They sold a little less than 26,000 HCHs in 2005. Sales are up a lot in 2006, especially in January. In February the year over year increase was about 30%, so I think 35,000 might be a good guess for all of 2006.

Accord hybrid sales are down from 2006 and are going at less than 1000 per month. Insights are selling less than 100 per month.

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID1007?m...49544&mime=asc

toast64 03-12-2006 04:44 PM

Tim,
I'm not an expert, but the way I read it, you should be good through June no matter what happens. Read:

http://hybridcars.about.com/od/news/...dtaxcredit.htm

This site, and others, state that the credit is good through the quarter that they sell 60.000 vehicles AND the following quarter. So even if Honda sells 60,000 by the end of March (won't happen), then you'd still be good thru June.

I'd be interested if others read it this way or if I'm way out in left field.

ericbecky 03-12-2006 05:49 PM

toast64,
As the author of that article you reference, I can tell you that you are correct.
It will be quite a while before Honda reaches the 60,000 level. If you are planning to get one this year you will be fine. If you were thinking about a Toyota, that would be a different story.

lkewin 03-13-2006 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by spjctim
Hi,
This is my first post. I'm thinking of buying an '06 HCH fairly soon.

Tim, Welcome !

I think your Tax credit question has been beaten to death, so I will not go there.

Unless you have already done so and ruled the Prius out, my suggestion would be to compare the HCH and the Prius and see which one works the best for YOU. Everyone is diffrent and puts diffrent value on features, functions appearance, etc. My wife and I spend s few months researching hybrids and we decided on the non-navi HCH. I use it mainly for commuting to work and driving around town, and know where I am going and how to get there, so spending extra $$$ for Navi, does not benifit for me.

Another suggestion is search the fourms for information and answers before you post a question that may have been answered (sometime many times). Everyone is good about sharing and most have no problem repeating advise, but I found many of my questions were asked by others and already answered.

Again, Welcome and good luck in your search