No Civic Hybrid for me, after all

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default No Civic Hybrid for me, after all

Well, I'm done dealing with Honda. I'll be purchasing my Toyota Tacoma, instead.

I put a $500 deposit down with multiple dealers that were quoted me $x amount (and even put it in writing for me complete with a receipt) and then I called my rounds today to verify that I'm still in the system, do they know what their next shipments are, etc. At the time that I laid down the deposits they quoted me a price but failed to mention that the "MSRP" that they quote me is subject to change when I actually pick up the car.

Thus, multiple dealers changed their "MSRP" on me to be hundreds more than what I originally agreed to and it exceeds my budget. I have a set amount I'm willing to pay for the car and I won't exceed it. I won't be treated this way, either. I'm not stupid or gullable, and if purchasing this market "hot" vehicle is going to be such a problem, then I'll go find something that won't be a problem.

If we agree to a price, or rather, I agree to a price quote they give me and put in writing the price they are quoting me in exchange for the deposit, and change it as they see fit after I wait for 6 weeks all the while ignoring other cars I could be interested in, then I absolutely refuse to do business with people that treat me that way. I have an idea how I like to be treated and where possible, I enforce it. Rewarding greedy dealers with my business is not my idea of how I want to be treated after they do this to me.

I understand the market, but I'm not under obligation to play the game.

Thus, at this point, I'm no longer interested in a Civic Hybrid.

Goodbye,
Shawn

Last edited by shawnb; 05-18-2006 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:03 PM
Witch
Default Re: No Civic Hybrid for me, after all

What was the supposed MSRP you were quoted?

If you are thinking you are paying simple MSRP for the car and it comes out to about $500 more, you are likely paying for the destination charges. If it comes out to $2500 more, they are trying to nail you with "Market Adjustment" based on its popularity.

If you want results, send this very same thread you just posted to one of the dealership's sales managers and tell them they just lost a customer for life.

I got the car I wanted, the price I wanted, and the trade in I wanted by telling my salesman exactly how I felt about this type of tactic and that I would be more than happy to go drop the same $23,000 at any of his competitors. I even went as far as to tell them how I had been offered $3500 off of MSRP on a fully loaded Ford Fusion and this was his last chance as I was going to go buy that car the very same night.

In the end, I am very pleased with my car and the dealer. Dealerships are all the same. Honda (despite how good they really are) is no different when it comes to the sales force they have on hand. They make commission therefore they are motivated to squeeze every last dime they can out of a deal in the interest of their paycheck.

Old 05-18-2006, 04:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

It was a fleet manager and he was unconcerned that I canceled the order and told me that there are others in line that will not complain about the price increase. I agree, there are plenty more.

The price of the car quoted me for this dealer was $26,112 for the NAVI, tax, license, registration, destination, floor mats, wheel locks, splash guards and dimming mirror, "out-the-door" FIRM price that could not be negotiated. If it can't be negotiated then why can it be increase? I called today and the final price to pick up the keys had changed to $27,088. I asked if there was a mistake, I read what he quoted me, he said the MSRP "adjusted" and the price quotes (in writing) they send are not a price quote for pick up, only if I pick it up "that day", all the while knowing I won't be picking it up for 6 weeks, they did not tell me that the MSRP likely will change.

Two dealers did this to me today.

One changed from $26,112 and another from $26,301 to $27,088 and $26,989, respectively.

I'm done.

Thanks,
Shawn

Last edited by shawnb; 05-18-2006 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Toyota Tacoma?

Old 05-18-2006, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by brick
Toyota Tacoma?
The list:

Honda Civic Hybrid (drat too popular to get a good deal)
Toyota Tacoma (boy I'm glad we worked out a deal or I would have bought a..)
Lincoln Town Car?? (and if that doesn't work out a...)
Mazda Miata...

Sorry this is very un moderator like. You can flog me later....

Last edited by lakedude; 05-18-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:33 PM
Brains of the Operation

Well, obviously this is a hybrid forum so everyone here is an advocate of hybrid cars, and will be disappointed when someone decides against getting one, but you have to do what you have to do. Some people have great experiences buying their hybrid and some just can't get a good deal anywhere. You shouldn't pay above your budget - you can save just as much money with some other non-hybrid fuel efficient vehicle if you get the good deal on it. Tacoma, though? Not that there's anything inherently wrong with a Tacoma, but if you were all set to buy a fuel-efficient compact, do you really need a truck? Why not a Corolla or Fusion or something that's sensible? Unless alluva sudden you really need to haul stuff.

Old 05-18-2006, 07:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

I was sold my HCH2 with nasty tactics as well. I was told the vehicle would not have a markup only to arrive at the dealer and find that there was a $1500 market adjustment. I wanted the vehicle, so I just paid the markup. This was October/November of 05. I'm not sure what markups are at right now in Los Angeles County. I saw a few dealers that were charging $3k markup. The standard was $1500.

Sorry they played you as well. On a good note, I have recouped all of the markup with gas savings and the big tax refund I received a month ago.

Old 05-18-2006, 07:14 PM
Enthusiast

Not to put too fine a point on it but MSRP is MSRP. It doesn't change on a weekly basis. It doesn't sound like your dealer was givng you the straight scoop. Unless things have changed the MSRP for the Navi HCH is $23,650 - that is the suggested price set by Honda, hence "Manfucturer's Suggested Retail Price" (MSRP) Add to that $550 standard destination charge and you have a base price of $24,200.

Tax and license will differ by locale. Anything above this is either accessories, dealer installed options or dealer greed. (obviously there is additonal tax on accessories/options)

Dan

Old 05-18-2006, 07:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

The reason a Tacoma... I already own a 2000 Tacoma and am very happy with it except it isn't 4 doors (had I waited two weeks I would have got one of the first ones they made) and we're expecting a child in the future.

I for the features that I want in the Tacoma, am able to get $23,500-$25,500 out-the-door through most dealers I've been to. However you slice it, it is cheaper than the Hybrid and while I don't like spending $380 /mo. on gas, I'm okay with it. yes, I haul things. I would sacrifice that for the Hybrid if whatever savings I get in gas and tax refunds wasn't swallowed by the dealer greed.

It is a bit of a compromise for me to agree to a car, for me, that is a major breakthrough, but I will not be treated the way the dealers have been treating me. The Hybrid is not that important to me, especially considering there is really no compelling reason to rid the truck, it works perfectly fine and I have no payments or debt otherwise (other than a few mortgages that I don't pay -- other people pay them).

Thsnks,
Shawn

Old 05-18-2006, 07:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dgkenney
Not to put too fine a point on it but MSRP is MSRP. It doesn't change on a weekly basis.
I'm aware of the what the MSRP is. These people say they don't "markup" the price, but when they increase what they say the "MSRP" is by, say, $900 (or whatever it happens to be) then there really is a markup. But the real insult is that I agreed to a price, put a reserve deposit, they gave me a receipt outlining the agreed price, and didn't disclaim or explain that the price is for the purchase that day only, even though I won't be actually purchasing it for another 6 weeks. $100, $200, maybe I can deal with it. But once it exceeds 426,500 it is out of my budget. I figure out what I'm willing to pay and I stick to it, no compromises.

In any case, its not the price that is bothering me. I have more money than I know what to do with. Its the principle of the matter, I am not in the habbit or rewarding less than honest businesses with $26k+ of my money and I'm not about to start now.

Thanks,
Shawn

Quick Reply: No Civic Hybrid for me, after all

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands