Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   Not hyper milage but still happy (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/not-hyper-milage-but-still-happy-5688/)

mavidal 01-29-2006 09:29 AM

Not hyper milage but still happy

Hi everyone:

Well, I'm not really a hyper miler, but getting 550 miles out of 12.6gal of gas is not bad in my book.

My 2005 HCH has about 12K miles now (bought it in august of 2005). Car is still running strong, and am pleased with it.

I would love to get better milage, but with the way idiots drive down here in Miami, the lack of any type of traffic light syncronization, and really crappy asphalt (rought and draggy), I really can't complain.

Mike V.

MadMax 01-29-2006 09:33 AM

Re: Not hyper milage but still happy

I'd say your doing good there bro all considering..550 miles on that many gallons of gas is awesome regardless..

Sledge 01-29-2006 09:49 AM

Look at this page:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/mpg/fetrends/420s05001.htm

You are getting more than double the average fuel economy than the entire US fleet. Your "low" 43.7 is what most other drivers dream of. Plus you have an AT-PZEV emissions control system installed so that you, and many others, can breathe easier, literally.

I'm sure that everyone on GH would like just a little more MPG, but in reality we're so far ahead of everyone else, we should just take it easy, relax, and wait for the next hybrid innovations to get into showrooms. :)

mavidal 01-29-2006 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sledge
Look at this page:

I'm sure that everyone on GH would like just a little more MPG, but in reality we're so far ahead of everyone else, we should just take it easy, relax, and wait for the next hybrid innovations to get into showrooms. :)

I'm not complaining. I just wonder how some people can get 60+mpg and try as I might, my real time mpg never seems that close. I'm still happy as hell right now getting that much out of a tank of gas. Of course, come summer, that will stop, but I will see.

I had a 97 Corvette before the HCH. The vette for what it is, was really fuel efficient, but for the amount of driving I do in my business, with the rise in gas prices, it just did not make sense anymore.

Now, if I could get the HCH to perform like the vette and get the same type of HCH milage??? :D

Sledge 01-29-2006 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by mavidal
I'm not complaining.

I never said you were. Just saying that you're doing a good job right now and anything else is just icing on the cake.

Mmmm cake :P

MadMax 01-29-2006 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by mavidal
I'm not complaining. I just wonder how some people can get 60+mpg and try as I might, my real time mpg never seems that close. I'm still happy as hell right now getting that much out of a tank of gas. Of course, come summer, that will stop, but I will see.

I had a 97 Corvette before the HCH. The vette for what it is, was really fuel efficient, but for the amount of driving I do in my business, with the rise in gas prices, it just did not make sense anymore.

Now, if I could get the HCH to perform like the vette and get the same type of HCH milage??? :D

I'll agree with ya there , I sold my 97 vette for my hybrid , was very FE considering it was a corvette..

xcel 01-29-2006 11:44 AM

--

zadscmc 01-30-2006 05:40 AM

12.6 gallons and less than 700 miles (weather permitting), and I complain.
::shrugs::

mexiken 01-30-2006 09:56 AM

Don't feel bad mavidal:

I live in Los Angeles, and the areas in which I drive are just TOO **** hilly. Try as hard as I can, one nice steep hill KILLS all my hard work. I've decided that its just that. Too much hard work. See, one of the main reasons I bought a hybrid was to go faster than in my old truck. Going 70 in that thing, well, I had to be going downhill to achieve that. And to get these AWESOME mpg numbers, you have to drive everywhere with care, patience, and most of all, concentration. You have to CONSTANTLY be monitoring the I-mpg meter, and the average one to see how its affecting the overall tank numbers. Its hard my man, **** hard. The thought of FAS to me is something that I just won't do, for safety reasons. Especially not in Los Angeles, home to 5 million plus people. Pulse and Glide is nice at night when I'm on the highway alone, but I'm both a student and a part time worker, I usually don't have the luxury of just crusing from 50 to 60, back down to 50, and back up to 60. Not with my home being 45 miles away from my job. Its just too much work for not so much benefit. And unfortunately, the drivers here just don't care much for hybrid drivers. They tend to pass me and rev up as they pass my car, honk at me, flash their high beams at me, all kinds of crazy stuff when I try some hypermiling techniques. So I just concentrate on driving more like a normal person. Seems to work out quite nice so far, I'm getting numbers like yours. Hey, I'm just glad I'm not driving a car that only gets 250 miles to a tank that held 6 more gallons and thus more than 12 more dollars to fill up. I'm glad I'm not driving a car that couldn't do 80 on a flat road if my life depended on it. I'm glad I can drive around in comfort, not wondering when it will overheat next or what else will go wrong with it, since it seems like everything already has....I'm not saying that you're complaining, or that you should be thankful. But for me anyway, I'm glad and happy and proud of myself, because I'm 21 years old, and I bought this car on my own, and I'm going to pay for it on my own. Not many people my age can say that, let alone be selfless enough to not want to drive something "fast" or "cool". I chose the route of economic sense and environmental sense. Its not always about the superficial things, hypermileage included....

PCK 01-30-2006 10:09 AM

I feel your pain, I commute into Miami every day and altered my route to avoid the
city streets there.

lkewin 01-30-2006 11:39 AM

I need to share this story, since I have seen numerous threads where the primary car owner, who works hard to get the milage up, watches it go south when their mate drives the car. I have had my HCH for 6 days now and have worked to maximize my mileage. This weekend 5 of us (13 year old son, 16 yr old son, 16 year old sons girlfriend, Wife and I) piled into the HCH and went to my sons musical concert. Despite all I had read, I thought it would be a nice thing to let my wife drive the new car. :angel: I took close note of the average mileage before turning over the keys to her. When we got home later in the afternoon, I took a look at the average MPG to see how much damage was done and... What is this...the milage had actually gone up ! :omg: Not only had it gone up, but it was higher then I had yet been able to get it !:embarass:

If this was not humbling enough, my son drove us to church yesterday and kept the milage about where was, :D then I go out to pick up the pizza last night an come home with the milage 0.3 lower then when I left:angry: .

All Joking aside, I am really happy with the car and I think the moral of this story is it is not all that hard to get "consistant" milage from the HCH, without even trying.

leahbeatle 01-31-2006 12:53 PM

I like your story, lkewin, and I wish the same thing would happen when my mother drives my hybrid! :)

Over the last few months, I have noticed that once in a while, I'll get better gas mileage in my HCH when I'm not paying much attention to FE than I do when I'm trying, and I think that's because other factors (hills, pavement surfaces, cold weather) have such a big impact on my FE, so if I'm on a good stretch in good conditions I hit my best FE without trying. In other situations, it pays to pay attention. Still, I agree with the poster who said it's a good idea to sometimes relax and realize that our 'bad' days are still about twice as good as the FE of the average American. Having a hybrid at all is the critical first step. If you can hypermile, then congratulations! But first, buy the hybrid. ;)