OEM V. Aftermarket Bumper Impact Absorber?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default OEM V. Aftermarket Bumper Impact Absorber?

Does this matter?

After my fender bender, the Progressive adjuster called to say that they would be paying to replace the trunk lid & bumper cover with Honda parts, but the Impact Absorber with aftermarket.

It is the 1/2" strip of styrofoam that goes on the inside of the bumper. Cost between aftermarket and Honda OE is $9. Suprisingly she balked at paying for the Honda part, but said I could pay the diff.

Considering, they are offering much, much more for my sore neck, I decided not to argue over $9.

Is this worth upgrading? Or is styrofoam, styrofoam?

nf

P.S. Total cost was $1741'ish.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:06 PM
Default Re: OEM V. Aftermarket Bumper Impact Absorber?

For $9 extra, does it matter? That's weird that they balked about something that minor. I would probably just pay the difference and skip going to Fourbucks a couple of times.

That being said, the styrofoam isn't a safety thing really since (I'm assuming) it would be crushed no matter what in an accident. It might be easier to have it done with the aftermarket part and not risk any delays or anything. What does the dealer who is fixing the car say?

Old 12-19-2008, 07:16 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

What was the part before the accident, yeah, I thought so. Insist on Honda parts, if she balks, ask for a supervisor. Insist your car be made whole again ie the same parts that were there before their client hit you.
You did not back into them, you deserve to be made whole again.
Now the question is, Is it worth the fight for $9, or is it worth the fight for the principal? on my car, they wanted to use standard Civic rims stating the Hybrid wheels were not stock, of course I refused in no uncertian terms, actually told them I was going to sue for replacement of the car since they were refusing to make me whole, they quickly relented but we were talking about $700 not $9.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:20 AM

I don't really think its worth the hasel! Hal

Old 12-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Resident ICE Wizard

you are entitled to oem parts for everything. Make sure they replace everything with OEM or you have quite a case on your hands.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:43 AM

I guess I should follow up. The body shop informed me that the OE strip and the AM strip are likely identical -- made in the same factory. This appeared to be a non-issue.

The car was fixed and I cannot tell any difference.

Also, lovely was having a freshly buffed car in the middle of snow season.

nf

Old 01-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

As long as your happy and well that is all that really matters. Mine was delivered the same way shiney & pretty in the middle of a snowstorm, I was kind of nervous the road chemicals would damage the fresh paint, it didn't so all is well.