Oil Changes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I am used to changing oil every 300 miles in my old (2004) Camry.

I think my 04 HCH owners manual calls out oil change intervals of 10,00 miles, with 5000 for adverse conditions - which my dealer says is city driving.

That seems like a lot of miles between changes.
Or, is this appropriate since the electric motor is taking some of the wear and tear during acceleration.
Someone told me the factory puts something special in the original oil that helps the break in so don't change it early. True?

I do about 75% freeway, and 25% city miles - and have 2600 miles now in Southern California's mile climate.
When should I do the first oil change?

BTW, I take my cars to the dealer for *everything*, even oil changes.

Old 06-17-2004, 05:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Kenny:

___Open up your manual and the service schedule is laid out for you.

___To save a bit of money, might I suggest you call around to a few Honda dealers and see what they will charge if you bring in your own Oil and Filter? The local Honda dealers all wanted at least $39.95 for a Hybrid oil change using whatever gold laced 0W-20 they wanted to use (if they would actually use 0W-20 which I highly doubt). I was a pure DIY’er until I asked the closest dealer what it would cost if I brought my own oil and filter in. $9.36 was the reply. It isn’t worth my time to mess with it at that price so I simply bring in 3 Qt’s of Mobil1 0W-20 Tri-syn (Honda Insight’s only use 2.5 Qt’s per change) and a Super Tech filter. 30 minutes later, I am on my way.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 06-17-2004, 07:04 PM

I have received mixed messages on this subject. The dealership where I bought the car told me every 5k, but when I got the oil changed at a dealer in Chicago, they put 4k on the reminder sticker they place in the window. So I compromised and get it changed somewhere in between 4k and 5k. I also change the air filter with each oil change.

I'm comfortable with this if for no other reason than the fact that Honda has always made a sturdy engine. I'm coming up on 47k and have had no serious issues with the car yet.

Personally I am more curious as to how the batteries will hold out..........

Good luck with the car and I hope you end up loving yours as much as I love mine. I've had it for 1.5 years and I already know that I will never own another "gas-guzzler" again.

Mark Cohen
Duanesburg, NY