Oil Life

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 07:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Oil Life

I know there is a lot of talk about the oile life for the new '06 HCH. My dealer told me not to change the oil until 10,000 or until the maintance minder says to. I know that the manual says not to change the oil earily for the for change because it is formulated to create a wear pattern for the engine. However, because this is hard for me to get over because I am use to changing my oil after the first 1000 miles or so to remove any small scraps of matter or particulate mattter in the oil as the engine breaks in. Also, I am a strong believer of changing the oil every 3,000 to 4,000 miles at the max. I don't know If I feel right changing it after even 6,000 miles. I know that is what Honda says to do and they are the ones warranting my car, but I am leary. I would just like to get an idea from some of the members with higher miles 2,000 or more miles on their HCH II to let me and anyone else out there know what percentage their oil life is at and the mileage of their vehicle to help give me a better idea of when I wanna change mine. I know that the oil life rating takes in other fatcors other that mileage like driving style, engine load, etc. This is not meant to trade different ideas when the oil change should take place but just give out a little data.

Old 12-22-2005, 08:09 PM
Default Re: Oil Life

I just turned over 2,000 miles and my oil life is reading 80%.

Another reason they give for waiting until 10k for the first change is that the oil from the factory contains molybdenum which is supposed to help the breakin process.

Old 12-22-2005, 08:29 PM
Enthusiast

Mine hit 70% at around 2600-2700 miles. I've been driving like a little old lady from Arizona too. I wonder what triggers the change, other than just miles... Do they have some sort of viscosity meter in there? I doubt it.

Old 12-22-2005, 08:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Maybe there is a way to get more of the "new" oil with moly in it.

Then you could have the best of both worlds.

Old 12-22-2005, 08:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

May I direct you to read a link?

http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm#Oil Change Intervals

Also, the Amsoil site has some great info on oil life indicators and the fact you can trust them.
Most all Euro and Asian Mfrs. are already at 10,000 mile oil changes and the US is slowly coming on board.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by dlingner
Mine hit 70% at around 2600-2700 miles. I've been driving like a little old lady from Arizona too. I wonder what triggers the change, other than just miles... Do they have some sort of viscosity meter in there? I doubt it.
It's based on the total number of revolutions of the engine, so if you drive at higher RPM's, you'll be told to change the oil more often.

Old 12-23-2005, 07:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9G-Man
May I direct you to read a link?

http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm#Oil Change Intervals

Also, the Amsoil site has some great info on oil life indicators and the fact you can trust them.
Most all Euro and Asian Mfrs. are already at 10,000 mile oil changes and the US is slowly coming on board.
Great Link 9G-Man but I was trying to search the Amsoil site for the info on the oil life indicators. I would like to see the validation of the "accuracy" of the oil life indicator.

Do you have a link?

I did a "oil life indicator" search from the site map of the Amsoil corporate site to no avail.

Cheers!

Old 12-23-2005, 11:03 AM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: Oil Life

-I think the best idea, is to change the oil whenever we feel like it, regardless of the manual recommending 10,000 miles. I mean seriously, who do a whole crew of Japanese engineers think they are writing this nonsense?

Seriously though... Here's a good one. So I'm in PepBoys, and I see a little display that has some interlocked wheels on two sides. There's oil in the bottom of the display and two places to turn the wheels. The idea is, on the left is untreated oil, and the right has a oil sample with some nonsense additive added. The right is slighty more viscous, obviously making it better... Yeah. Better.

Sorry for having to be such a wise-***.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tko4you
Great Link 9G-Man but I was trying to search the Amsoil site for the info on the oil life indicators. I would like to see the validation of the "accuracy" of the oil life indicator.

Do you have a link?

I did a "oil life indicator" search from the site map of the Amsoil corporate site to no avail.

Cheers!
Here ya go;

http://www.performanceoiltechnology...._intervals.htm

Old 12-23-2005, 01:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Your a good man - excellent info.

Have a wonderful holiday and prosperous New Year G-Man!

Quick Reply: Oil Life

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands