People who bought or leased a Honda or Acura could get benefits from a class action

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 10:05 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Exclamation People who bought or leased a Honda or Acura could get benefits from a class action

I copied this from somewhere. Thought it would be important to you all.

I know this thread should not belong here but for people to notice this I am including it here.

Cars included are 02-06 Honda/Acuras and the 07 Fit bought between 4/13/02-11/7/06

This is the content that i received:
http://www.odosettlementinfo.com/Vau...d%20Notice.pdf

Here is the urls to get more details and forms:
http://www.odosettlementinfo.com/
http://www.hondaodometerclassaction.com/

If the class action succeeds you either did nothing and got a 5% mileage extension of your warranty or lease agreement or you can submit a claim for mileage charges on your lease or repair fees that would have been covered by a 5% extension of your warranty period (ie before 37,800 if you had a 36k mi warrenty).

Just check whether u guys have any issues and if u have claims to add to this suit.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:47 PM
Hybrid-Hugger
Default Re: People who bought or leased a Honda or Acura could get benefits from a class acti

I wonder if this will flow into Canada eventually

Old 12-18-2006, 10:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: People who bought or leased a Honda or Acura could get benefits from a class acti

I just got an announcement about this in the mail on Saturday. Maybe they just sent out a mailing about it? But then why did exbauer get one two weeks before me? I don't know.

My reaction to this is dismay. If they're right and our odometers are off by 2-4% as the plaintiffs in the case apparently claimed (with respect to the Honda Odyssey to start and then for all other Hondas and Acuras), then yes, the warranty extension seems warranted. BUT... What about <i>fixing</i> the odometer? I want to know my FE, and that means knowing mileage pretty precisely. Can't this be fixed? All they've said here is that they changed the 'odometer tolerance standard,' which means admitting to existing errors but doing nothing about them.

If my mileage is actually 2-4% less than it reads, then my FE has dropped and I want to know about it. This whole thing just makes me feel somewhat icky and uncertain about something I was pretty proud about before this.

I'm a lawyer, but I don't have the kind of resources, expertise or time to opt out and pursue my own claim, which means that all I get out of this class action, which is on the point of being settled and done with, is a warranty extension of 5%. It may have some value; we'll see. But the thing I want fixed, they aren't going to address at all.

Anyone else find this upsetting?

Old 12-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Enthusiast

The best thing to do would be to verify your speedometer speed and odometer mileage to a hand held GPS receiver. If you have Navi compare the hand held reading to both. Calculate you % error to the Odometer, because that is what is used in calculating warranty status. Once you know what the percent error is, you can compensate for it when calculating you MPG at fill ups.
Example

If your your odometer is reading a higher speed than actual, divide the indicted by the GPS speed, say the Speedometer reads 62MPH and you are really traveling at 60MPH then divide 62 by 60 to give a result of 1.033333333333... this means you have an error of 3.33%.

You do the same thing for the odometer. On you next trip of more than 25 miles, track it by hand held GPS. Follow the same formula for the Miles driven between the hand held and the odometer. You may or may not get the same percent error. If your odometer reads high (as is indicated by the lawsuit) then you would apply the percent correction on the miles driven and arrive at the correct MPG (This will need to be hand calculated because the computer will base MPG off the incorrect Information)

Example

330 miles indicated on Odo
300 miles by GPS
% error 10% (330/300)
Take your odo mileage and multiply by 10% and then calculate FE as normal.

I used 10% because it is easy to calculate but I hope you get the idea.

Bill

Old 12-19-2006, 07:09 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I actually haven't received this post card yet. I just found this on another forum and thought I would let you people know since it pertains to us. I am angry since they know there is a problem with the speedo and not fixing it. Instead, they are just overlooking it and giving a extention to the warranty. It isn't that big of a deal to conventional cars, but many of us use the mileage results to see how we are doing since we have hybrids.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Can I rephrase this?

Attorney's not People who bought or leased a Honda or Acura could get(huge) benefits from a class action lawsuit.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

What if you I have the 120,000 extended warranty? Do I get 5% more (making it a 126,000 mile warranty, I think)? Should I be concerned because I haven't been notified via Honda regarding this?

Old 12-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just called the 1-888 number. They said you get 5% more miles (not time) so my 100,000 becomes 105,000 and your 120,000 does become 126,000. The lawsuit is not finalized but she said we should receive notification of the extension in the mail.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Anyone who purchased a new Honda model year 2002 through 2006 gets an extra 5% (in terms of mileage, as jaykay said) added to their warranty. Even if you do not get the notice, you are still covered- there is nothing special about getting a notice if you are in a class action. They try to notify as many members of the class as possible, but since you can access the website above or see it in the paper if they publish it, they count everyone as being 'notified.' Part of the reason they do class action suits is because it's practically impossible to be certain you've notified everyone in the class or allowed them all to have their day in court over a particular issue, so the mechanism for it is as general as possible.

So don't worry if you get no actual notice in the mail. Legally speaking, you are part of the class anyway and if you are between 120 and 126 thousand miles and need repairs under your warranty, you will not need to show a notice to prove you are covered.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:33 AM
Dazed and Confused

How does this affect aftermarket warranties, such as those you can get from AAA or your insurance Co.

Quick Reply: People who bought or leased a Honda or Acura could get benefits from a class action

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands