Pre buyers remorse! Buying 2005HCH tomorrow

Old 02-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Enthusiast
Default Pre buyers remorse! Buying 2005HCH tomorrow

So glad to have found this site! I'm a little nervous. Today I put down a deposit on a 2005 HCH, automatic site unseen as it seems to be very well priced (maybe a little too good to be true) and in exactly the color I wanted (well almost....at least it is a light blue).

After doing more research and calling a Honda dealer, I have found out the battery can be extremely expensive to replace. I'm taking it in tomorrow to have it thoroughly checked before I buy it.

I'm a little concerned because the service technician is concerned. He is shocked at the price I am paying for it. It is in excellent condition, has a clean carfax, only 38,000 miles and I am paying $8,900.

Any comments would be appreciated. I'm still excited, but glad I found this site.

Allison

Old 02-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Pre buyers remorse! Buying 2005HCH tomorrow

Kelly blue book puts it at about 14,200-14,800 depending if it is auto or stick. It does seem too good to be true but who knows, for a base dx 5 speed that would be in the ball park maybe they mis priced it.
You did not say if it is a dealer or private party, the mis price would probably hold more true for a private party.
2 potential problem areas are, the cvt if auto and the 12v battery can cause odd problems if it is bad (after 4 years, if original, it is probably bad) have it checked out by the Honda dealer and only if you feel they are comfortable with hybrid technology.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Enthusiast

Here is a description of the car and one of the photos. It is a couple of nice seeming 20 something guys who buy cars at auction then service and sell. It was on ebay, but he is in my area fortunately. Is a a 12 volt battery the one under the hood? It's not the one behind the seat is it? Thanks for the heads up about the fluid.VIN JHMES96635S022570DECODED 2005 Honda CivicCountry JAPANMake HondaVehicle Type Passenger CarModel CivicEngine Type L4, 1.3LBody Type 4 Door SedanTrim Level HybridCheck Digit 3Model Year 2005Assy. Plant Suzuka, MieProduction Seq. Number 022570GVWR Class Class B: 3,001-4,000 lbVehicle Class Small CarDrive Line Type FWDHorsepower 85HPEngine Series Code LDA1Fuel Type GasolineHybrid Type Mild Hybrid Electric (HEV); ParallelTransmission 1 Speed AutomaticRestraint System Dual Air Bag; Seat Belts; Side Air BagManufacturer Honda Motor Company

additional photos

Old 02-23-2009, 11:18 PM

Looks nice, be cautious you are buying it from people who do not know the car & you do not know them...yes, the 12v battery is the one under the hood.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:48 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you Bob for your advice. So true. I am so glad I decided to have it evaluated by a Honda dealer here in Dallas today. I'll hope for the best outcome.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Enthusiast
Question Re: Pre buyers remorse! Buying 2005HCH tomorrow

I havn't purchased yet. Drove today and took to honda dealer. It checkout well for the most part. It was a smokers car and the seats have cigarette marks on them. That was the biggest disappointment. Interior closer to fair condition than excellent as listed. The center console/armrest broken, dash looks pretty worn. Needs new 12V battery, 4 new tires, the bumper had been replaced in the past, needs alignment, bushings, brake fluid flush, door in back hard to close, significan small scratches all over back trunk, not deep though,

What bothers me most is the condition of the interior front seats. Since it is a gift for daughter cigarette burns in the uphostery and a cigar smell are real negatives

On the other hand the dealer after inspecting the car did tell me he could sell this car for about $12K and I would be buying it for 8,500.

Maybe I'll flip it! I have two teens that need a car actually.

I did notice slight hesitation when accelerating, and once when on highway coasting it hesitated, felt like a stall. The service manager said there is an extended warranty on the CVT regarding that issue of "hesitation" at low speeds, then lurching.

A Honda Civic is a great car, much more solid feeling than my old 2001 Odyssey Van.

Thanks for helping here. I think I will offer less and see what happens. The estimate for all repairs incl., tires, battery, bushings is $1200.

Maybe I can get seat covers that won't interfere with side air bags. Any thoughts? Thanks again.

Allison

Old 02-24-2009, 05:39 PM

Hmmm, the smoke smell would kill the deal for me, if you notice it now, just wait till the middle of summer. But, that aside it really doesn't sound like a lot of repairs, the 12v battery shoud be expceted, I presume the dealer load tested the main battery, right? bushings & alignment yea not a big deal. What bothers me is it sounds like it has not been well cared for burnt interior, broken stuff, scratches, bumper just sounds like it was treated roughly in a prior life...what does the carfax say about the privious owner, private party or business? the hesatation is a known CVT problem:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-speeds-12606/

So, I guess you are the final expert as to purchace, Like I said, not for me, but that is because of 1 specific thing (smoke) but, I also fired a realtor for showing me houses that people had smoked in after I told her it was an issue. Can you live with the issues you are now aware of? if so, go for it (especally if they will come down) if not, pass this one by, problems you can't live with are no bargain.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think this car is a good deal because even with the repairs it still costs less than list value. I would re-upholster the car seats to get rid of the smoke stink. This should not cost much and should be doable by somebody over a couple of weekends.
If Honda dealer looked at the car and found it fine then that would be good enough for me too.

ks

Old 02-24-2009, 09:52 PM
Think green.

I agree with Kevin. I would get it re-upholstered. The dash can probably be cleaned up with some Armor-All. The center console can probably be fixed; it's the same as in a regular Civic, so you can probably locate a used part, and have it replaced if necessary.

Actually, it looks just like my car on the outside, same color & everything. I bought mine used too, and it didn't belong to a smoker, but there were dog hairs everywhere. Eventually I got that all cleaned out. I would suggest a change of the cabin filter; that might be dirty due to the previous owner being a smoker. (The cabin filters are located behind the glove compartment. There are two filters. It's a pretty easy thing to change yourself. You can do a search here on the forum to learn how to do the procedure, or have the dealer take a look at it for you.)
Good luck. It is a really good price.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:39 PM

So, what did you decide?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pre buyers remorse! Buying 2005HCH tomorrow

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands