View Poll Results: Would chroming stock HCH II wheels be a good idea?
Yes
17.65%
No
38.24%
Don't care
44.12%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Question ? HCH ll Members; Chrome-Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 12:21 PM
G.H. Contributor
Question Question ? HCH ll Members; Chrome-Wheels

Hi Members and Soon to be Members;

I have been thinking about the Stock Wheels on the HCH ll. I think I have come up with something that would really make a (Major) difference in the Stock-Wheels "Appearance".

So; Personally do you think this would add to the HCH ll Appearance/ Looks?

"Chrome" {The Stock-Wheels}

So; what do you all {THINK} ?????

Poll Question ? Give your opinion, Please

Terry

BTW; The Member that is always-always Thinking

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 01-14-2006 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Question ? HCH ll Members; Chrome-Wheels

Do you mean having the original wheel chrome plated?
Or buying new ones that are already chrome plated?

All I have to say is the original ones are designed for high MPG.
Weight, lower weight further from center, and aerodynamics.
I'd imagine chrome plating would not affect that measureably.

Other wheels would almost certainly lower your MPG, although I don't know if it would be enough to measure.

Old 01-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm undecided on this... how much weight would chroming add to the stock rims? Once I get my MP HCH2 in a month, I'm thinking of powder coating the wheels black...

Old 01-14-2006, 12:44 PM
G.H. Contributor
Exclamation Re: Question ? HCH ll Members; Chrome-Wheels

Hi Everyone;

Chrome the Factory-Wheels. Not buy {After Market Chrome Wheels}

The additional weight would not be of any concern. Reason; think of the difference in the (Weight-Of Owners) or the ones of us that have Family Members in vehicle and the Members here that don't. Another exam: ; The difference in Weight of the Family members. So, as you can see the {Chrome} on the Wheels really does not matter.

The looks though I think would be really (Profound).

Just a thought: Something to add to the Stock Wheel Appearance without changing out the wheels or affecting the "FE" of the HCH ll.

Terry

BTW: I work at a Chevy dealer and we send out "Vette" wheels all the time to have "Chromed". They "Look-Great"

Old 01-14-2006, 01:03 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'll reply like I always do to questions about wheels or any other item you might want to add to the car: do whatever you want, and whatever gives you the most enjoyment from your car.

No matter what you end up doing to your HCH, you will still be getting 20-25 percent better mileage than you would from a regular Civic, driven and equipped in a similar manner. There is a ton of empirical data to show this, from owners, magazines like Consumer Reports and Road & Track, and automotive writers.

And if you become captivated by the desire to get even better mileage, like almost everybody here does, then you will get even better results -- 30-50% better, by my own experience.

So, you will be greatly enjoying your car, and you will be supporting hybrid technology, and you will be using less gas, and you will be polluting less.

What's not to like?

ps: I voted "don't care" simply because I think it's your own choice to make.

Last edited by coyote; 01-15-2006 at 07:45 AM. Reason: oops, I left out the work "percent", what a doofus
Old 01-14-2006, 03:47 PM
It's not easy being Green

Have the wheels polished, then chromed. Bling-bling!

Enjoy.
MG

Old 01-14-2006, 05:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

If you like the chrome a lot. I think a nice high polish has always looked better to me than chrome. I started feeling chrome was gawdy many years ago. In fact, I had all the chrome on my 75 GrandVille painted. My car was all black except for the aluminum 6-spoke rims which had black inset. The chrome would add considerble weight to each wheel, it isn't light, and the weight is more directly felt than say having a kid jump in the back, but overall, I wouldn't say it would make a major difference unless losing .5 - 2 mpg and a (very) slight amount of acceleration matters to you.

I personally think you have a nice color HCH-II coming. If anything, powdercoating them the Magnetic Pearl would have a nice look. But that is the my personal feelings.

You are going to drive the car like you would basically anything else (not hypermiling), so get what you like, and be happy!!! You have one of the best cars on the market, enjoy it for those who do not.

Take care and have fun!

Old 01-14-2006, 05:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bluesesshomaru17
If you like the chrome a lot. I think a nice high polish has always looked better to me than chrome. I started feeling chrome was gawdy many years ago. In fact, I had all the chrome on my 75 GrandVille painted. My car was all black except for the aluminum 6-spoke rims which had black inset. The chrome would add considerble weight to each wheel, it isn't light, and the weight is more directly felt than say having a kid jump in the back, but overall, I wouldn't say it would make a major difference unless losing .5 - 2 mpg and a (very) slight amount of acceleration matters to you.

I personally think you have a nice color HCH-II coming. If anything, powdercoating them the Magnetic Pearl would have a nice look. But that is the my personal feelings.

You are going to drive the car like you would basically anything else (not hypermiling), so get what you like, and be happy!!! You have one of the best cars on the market, enjoy it for those who do not.

Take care and have fun!
Yea, I'm thinking a nice gunmetal gray powdercoat finish for my Magnetic Pearl when it comes in... here's a quick photoshop of what I think it'd look like! (I pulled this pic from the "share" section of this website).

Old 01-14-2006, 06:06 PM

The wheels look dirty in that picture. I'm not a fan.

Old 01-14-2006, 08:03 PM
G.H. Contributor
Exclamation Re: Question ? HCH ll Members; Chrome-Wheels

Well;

I've just got to have more "Shine" on my Wheels.

The Powder Coat is okey but like shiney wheels it's just personal choice.

I think that the Polished Look would be okey but more Maintenance to keep them looking Shiney.

Then again I guess we could just keep our Little Hands off of them.

Thinking;

Terry

Quick Reply: Question ? HCH ll Members; Chrome-Wheels

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands