View Poll Results: Would chroming stock HCH II wheels be a good idea?
Yes
17.65%
No
38.24%
Don't care
44.12%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Question ? HCH ll Members; Chrome-Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 09:39 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Question ? HCH ll Members; Chrome-Wheels

looks nice, i prefer a color-match ... so to me that would look better on a galaxy gray, but matching factory color wouldn't be easy I guess.

Yeah, chrome does stay shiny a little easier than polished aluminum, but there has been times I had to look twice at a highly polished rim when the car was moving to tell the difference. Get black chrome!!! hehe, it is a little more expensive, but a nicer look, imo.

I would love to see pictures of both when on the car.
I am thinking of getting a set of 06 rims for my car, unless I get a 06 HCH and pass the 05 to a family member. It all depends on how much overtime I work. an 06 HCH and a 00 Insight would be very nice!!! The 05 would still have a good home, just driven a little harder than I.

Old 01-14-2006, 09:47 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: Question ? HCH ll Members; Chrome-Wheels

Shaun;

I wished you had the Income to let you get yourself the 2006 HCH ll.

I can tell by your many Post here on GreenHybrid that you are really into the Car-Thing.

If not I think the 06 HCH ll wheels would be very cool on your existing HCh l.

Either way you would be a (Winner)

Terry

Old 01-14-2006, 11:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coyote
No matter what you end up doing to your HCH, you will still be getting 20-25 MPG better mileage than you would from a regular Civic, driven and equipped in a similar manner.
The EPA rating for the HCH is 50MPG. For a regular civic it's 34. That is a 16MPG difference. I believe that in real life, when driven the same way, the difference might be smaller.

Old 01-15-2006, 03:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Terry,

I am very much a car enthusiast. I always have been since a child. I had always been into performance cars, used to be big blocks and pure power, then rotaries and handling abilities. Now it is complete package - efficiency, handling, comfort, safety, enviroment, etc. I guess that is growing up.

I need to see how much I can get the rims for new, I don't think many people will get rid of the new Hybrid rims compared to the HCH-I's.

Whether or not I will get a HCH-II will depend on several issues that I won't bore you with here. I will see what happens in the next 10 months. Things look good no matter what happens though. I love the HCH-I. I get 3x+ the mpg in it than my last vehicle. I have saved over $100 in gas my first 2 weeks ... that would be $2600/yr. and there is nothing wrong with that!

The same goes for you (Winner). You are gonna have a great car, better than mine! Have fun with it!!!

Take care

Old 01-15-2006, 07:43 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coyote
No matter what you end up doing to your HCH, you will still be getting 20-25 MPG better mileage than you would from a regular Civic, ...
Uh oh, did I really say that? I need to fire my proofreader.

What I meant to say was, that "No matter what you end up doing to your HCH, you will still be getting 20-25 percent better mileage than you would from a regular Civic, ..."

Sorry about that folks, and thanks ElanC for pointing out my folly...

Old 01-15-2006, 04:49 PM

You'll probably add a little weight, but not enough to make much of a difference (by much, I mean you probably won't even notice on an everyday basis). I have the same color one, I LOVE it....

Old 01-15-2006, 07:34 PM

I don't think that adding the weight by chroming the factory wheels will be a big deal. However, I think that there could be other problems. Adding chrome plating to metals can be very soft and susceptable to damage easily. If not cleaned on a very regular basis the chrome will become pitted and will not be cleanable damage the chrome surface. Once this occurs the chrome can peel and flake away like old lead paint. Factory and aftermarket chrome wheels are much better because they use the proper type metal for bonding. I am not a metal specalist but I know that some metals bond better with others and some metals bond better with chrome plating. I think a better choice would be a set of aftermarket performance wheels that are lightweight. I will eventually change mine to a good aftermarket set as well. When I recieved my flat tire and had to buy a new tire, the guy how mounted the new one said that they were light wheels but he has seen wheel that weighed less. So if one was to find an even lighter wheel they may make out even better as far as mileage.

Old 01-15-2006, 09:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Adam_HybridCivic
I will eventually change mine to a good aftermarket set as well.

When you do, let me know if you want to sell the stock ones and for how much I guess I should make sure they are compatable first, but I would think so ...

Old 01-15-2006, 09:33 PM

I believe they are a 5 bolt pattern and are not compatable with HCH I's. I was looking at them earlier. BTW, if you want to buy them from the dealer they go for almost $400 each. Or if you go to hondaautomotiveparts.com you can get them for about $300 each.

I think that makes a good case for high PSI in your tires to make sure you blow a tire before you dent your rims. Hitting a nasty pothole with mushy tires could be costly.

Old 01-15-2006, 09:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks tbaleno, a little disappointed but it is nice to know ... I guess I will look at tirerack.com again. The HCH-I rims are not aerodynamic such as the II's so anything with the same or less weight that looks better to me will suffice. Is there a good source for finding LRR tires and sizes availible, or are they still too new for that kind of information to be easily accessible?

Quick Reply: Question ? HCH ll Members; Chrome-Wheels

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands