View Poll Results: Would chroming stock HCH II wheels be a good idea?
Yes
17.65%
No
38.24%
Don't care
44.12%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Question ? HCH ll Members; Chrome-Wheels

Old 01-16-2006, 04:16 AM
Enthusiastically Active
Default Re: Question ? HCH ll Members; Chrome-Wheels

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
The additional weight would not be of any concern. Reason; think of the difference in the (Weight-Of Owners) or the ones of us that have Family Members in vehicle and the Members here that don't.
Actually it is a bigger differene than you think. The difference is that weight applied at the wheels is considered "unsprung weight", which effects the cars handling and performance much more dramatically than sprung weight.

Still though, the weight of chrome on the wheels is pretty insignificant. I've even considered finding some lightweight 16" or 17" rims. If you stay around or below 16 lbs per rim and stick with low roll tires, you shouldn't see much of a weight penalty. Someone has already done this in the gallery, and his car looks great!

Old 01-16-2006, 07:00 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast
Default Re: Question ? HCH ll Members; Chrome-Wheels

For those newer to the forum, my adventures in HCH I wheel upgrades are here:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...rade.4514.html

Here's ftlum's upgrade on the HCH II:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...rims.4782.html

I intentionally tried to reduce wheel weight, and dropped 2.7 lbs off each wheel. While I need some dry, warm summer driving to really know if this helped, I have not seen any real difference in my winter FE. Last 3 tanks have been typical for the season (42-44 mpg). However, I can conclude that a) it didn't hurt, and b) I like the look 100x better.

For those working on their HCH II's, I found it difficult to find the wheel weight of the stock wheels. Honda didn't even know (or wouldn't tell). I had to weigh them after the fact on a scale. Also, tires of the same size can vary +/- 3 lbs, so there's weight to be gained and lost there too.

Terry - I'd say knock yourself out. If -2.7 lbs reduction didn't make any noticeable difference, I can't expect +2.7 lbs would either. I'm not sure how much it would $ to chrome the stock wheels, but for ~ $200 per wheel you'd have a lot to choose from in after-market.