Questions Regarding the Hybrid Civic.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 12:24 AM
Banned
Default Questions Regarding the Hybrid Civic.

Dear Members,

I just joined this website and I must say it's a very refreshing place to be. I've frequented many many auto forums and most if not all of them to date have been filled with really egotistical, ignorantly narrow-minded, and for the lack of a better word, very facist thinking people.

Perhaps a certain level of maturity and caring required to even consider alternative types of transports shines through here but whatever it is, I'm done with the rest of the places I've frequented.

Now...to the questions.

I'm seriously contemplating a new Civic Hybrid or even a regular Civic EX. My first question is:

A) How does the real-world mileage of a Civic EX compare to that of the Hybrid? If they are close, does the advantage of the hybrid come into play in terms of CO2 reduction? If so, by how much (I'm not asking for super accurate numbers...just general percentages would be fine if numbers are not available).

B) The gentleman who traded in his Z06 for a hybrid was inquiring about changing his rims to those found on an SI...is that possible? Or do the rims on the hybrids contain equipment aiding in regeneration?

If not, how hard would it be to change the rims? Anyone done that and know the costs? How about the suspension system? SI sedan suspensions would go along way I would think no?

Anyway...those are the general questions.

Oh...actually....one last thing. I live in So Cal...what would be a recommended Honda dealer to buy the Civic from?

Cheers!

Old 12-28-2006, 04:30 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Questions Regarding the Hybrid Civic.

I will answer what I can

the rims don't contain any special equipment. The regeneration occurs in the electric motor sandwiched between the internal combustion engine and the CVT. The same one that drives the vehicle via electricity.

I cant speak for the civic EX, but you can look at the averages in the database on this site. I am currently getting 45 mpg in Indiana, where it is cold and rainy right now. When its nice out I probably get just above 50 mpg.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Armand
A) How does the real-world mileage of a Civic EX compare to that of the Hybrid? If they are close, does the advantage of the hybrid come into play in terms of CO2 reduction? If so, by how much (I'm not asking for super accurate numbers...just general percentages would be fine if numbers are not available).

B) The gentleman who traded in his Z06 for a hybrid was inquiring about changing his rims to those found on an SI...is that possible? Or do the rims on the hybrids contain equipment aiding in regeneration?

If not, how hard would it be to change the rims? Anyone done that and know the costs? How about the suspension system? SI sedan suspensions would go along way I would think no?

I live in So Cal...what would be a recommended Honda dealer to buy the Civic from?
To sum up.
The EX would return you in the mid to high 20s.
The Hybrid would return you in the mid to low 40s.
The Hybrid is rated a 9.5/10 at the EPA's website for vehicle emissions. I think the EX is at a 6 or 7. You can research that yourself.
The rims are simply lightweight and aerodynamic and almost any change you make to them will negatively affect your fuel economy.
You can change the suspension and the only negative will be the ride quality, which I think is already borderline.

Good luck!

Old 12-28-2006, 07:25 AM
Enthusiast

Armand--

The EX is rated 30/40, and if you check the mileage database here the real-world average for the HCHII is about 47. I don't know the quantitative amount of relative CO2 reduction, but the HCHII qualifies as partial zero emissions. Put it this way -- the HCHII can shut off the gas engine during coasting and at "idle" (subject to some conditions). In Southern California this would amount to a great deal lower emissions than an EX, which would continue to idle in heavy traffic.

As long as the mounting lugs match, you can use any wheels you want on the HCHII. "Twuelfing" got it right that the regen equipment isn't in the wheels. The advantages of the factory wheels are that they are lightweight (less weight means they're easier to get started rolling from a stop) and that they are aerodynamic. Personally, I think the factory HCHII rims are great -- they're one of the minor differences that people in the know (i.e. other hybrid enthusiasts) use to differentiate you from standard Civic drivers.

This thread shows a gentleman who had other Honda Factory rims installed by the dealer on his European HCHII.

Anyway, hope this helps. --RN

Last edited by HCHCIN; 12-28-2006 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:40 AM
Banned

Thanks for all your responses! I appreciate it.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HCHCIN

This thread shows a gentleman who had other Honda Factory rims installed by the dealer on his European HCHII.

Anyway, hope this helps. --RN
That link of the black Hybrid 2...very very nice....that would do the trick for sure. Is that coming to the US or is that, as is mostly the case, a European thing as well?

Last edited by Armand; 12-28-2006 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:24 AM
Enthusiast

Armand--

As I understand the way these things work, Honda product planners in each country/region choose what equipment they want offered on cars sold in that region. So, for example, the Canadian HCHII has heated outside mirrors where the US version doesn't. So what you see in that thread is probably going to be unique to Europe. Though, if enough of us appeal to American Honda for changes to the next product update (Honda sometimes adds stuff mid-cycle, like two years into a model run), they might be receptive -- who knows? --RN

Old 12-28-2006, 11:29 AM
Banned

That would be great if they did...I'd sign a petition request form if anyone makes it for sure.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:54 PM
light green

Originally Posted by HCHCIN
Armand--

As long as the mounting lugs match, you can use any wheels you want on the HCHII.
This is not totally correct. The offset has to be close as well, or you may rub the fender or scrape the brake caliper.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:36 PM
Energy Independence

I agree about the offset.
If the wheels are not the proper offset (if the offset # is lower than optimum) and are not too wide, sometimes you can add spacers to have them sit properly in the wheel-well. The spacers push the wheels out - away from the disc calipers and tie-rod ends, etc. Some people advise against spacers, though. I personally have no experience with spacers.
If the offset # is higher than optimum, you must mount them and check fender/wheel-well clearance, checking fronts by turning steering wheel from lock-to-lock. Then consider the potential shock absorber travel.
Replacement wheels of the same size, width, and offset (and bolth-pattern) should work just fine. Any others have any or all of these potential pitfalls. You have to "try 'em on" to know for sure how they'll fit.

Quick Reply: Questions Regarding the Hybrid Civic.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands