Rear Main Seal

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Enthusiast
Default Rear Main Seal

Took my new (to me) 04 HCH-I MT into the dealer for an oil change, since a "new customer" oil change is only $6. Can't beat that. Well, they said that my rear main seal was leaking, and it is 14 hours of labor...which means it's gotta cost at least $1500

Has anyone had this happen, or had a dealer tell them this? I'm going to do a valve adjustment this weekend (on my own) and get in and under the engine and see what this is all about, and probably do the job myself. I don't have $1500 to pay a dealer to replace a **** $5 seal.

Thoughts?

Old 04-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Rear Main Seal

I recently had my rear main seal replaced Honda. Luckily mine was covered under a start clutch replacement warranty. Since it didn't leak until after thy started working on it. Are you comfortable taking off the transmission? Most of the cost is in labor since the part is only 50 bucks or so.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:50 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Rear Main Seal

I recently took the engine & transmission out of a 1996 Honda Accord (and put it back in after replacing the clutch etc) so as long as it's not intensely more complicated than that...I think I can do it. Can you do the work without disconnecting the crankshaft? If so, it won't be terrible...