Retraction Of Previous Post

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 01:25 AM
Enthusiast
Default Retraction Of Previous Post

I must retract my previous post, I believe I finally figured it out. I just drove 20 City miles without AC and averaged 51 MPG. The mistake I was making and most likely many who are getting poor gas milage is Making is not using the CVT transmission properly. What I did this time is I slowly hit the gas pedal until I was about 1700 RPM and let the speed build up to the Speed I wanted without going past 2000 RPM than let my foot off the gas until the RPM settled to it's lowest point Then hit cruise. The way the CVT transmission works is you can leave your RPM at steady point below the 2000 RPM point and the speed will continue to build without applying more pressure as with a conventional auto transmission.

I know when I am operating my AC I most likely will not hit the 50 MPG I achieved this evening, I am confident I should be able to achieve 40 MPG +. My sincere apologies to any member I doubted prior, I hope this post will help others who are not achieving optimal MPG.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Retraction Of Previous Post

I'm glad things are working better for you!!! The "letting the foot off the gas" part is what we call "fake shifting" and I do it all the time to get the RPMs to go down as low as possible. I keep doing that until I notice my speed start to bleed off, and then I'll add a little pedal pressure back.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:16 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Retraction Of Previous Post

yes keeping RPMs down is key for sure. retraction noted.