Rolling forward when in reverse ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Rolling forward when in reverse ?

Now I haven't tried to see how far forward our HCHII will roll while in reverse, but it certainly will. We have a steep (uphill) driveway. If I put our 06 Hybrid in reverse to back up the hill without pressure on the gas pedal, the rascal will roll forward. This is the only automatic transmission I've ever had, some I'm used to a car that will roll while in gear, but this surprised me. Should it do this and if so, why?

Old 03-19-2006, 08:43 AM
Kermit's Friend
Default Re: Rolling forward when in reverse ?

We have a sloped driveway also. Our previous vehicle ('99 Tahoe) had a hillholder gear on it that prevented it from slipping forward while in reverse for backing up the driveway. But both of our new hybrids (FEH & HiHy) don't. I'm sure it has something to do with the new Electronically Controlled Variable Transaxles (ECVT).

Old 03-19-2006, 08:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

We went to the movies about a month ago and when I went to park the car I wanted to line up in the space and when I went to go in reverse, the vehicle rolled forward and the front steel frame hit the parking curb. I thought I crushed the front of my car. Now I use my handbrake in combination with the accelerator to avoid a situation like that one again.

Old 03-19-2006, 10:21 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

As far as I konw, the reason behind this is because unlike a standard auto, the CVT uses a computer controlled clutch-pack, rather than a fluid torque converter, to prevent stalls. This means to keep the car from stalling out, it will open the clutch at very low speeds when not accelerating, allowing it to roll. I notice the same thing with rolling backwards slightly on hills when coming out of auto-stop in my HCH-I.

Holidn the brake or e-brake like might be done on a manual car on a steep hill to prevent rolling should work.

Old 03-19-2006, 10:53 AM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by SamIV
Now I haven't tried to see how far forward our HCHII will roll while in reverse, but it certainly will. We have a steep (uphill) driveway. If I put our 06 Hybrid in reverse to back up the hill without pressure on the gas pedal, the rascal will roll forward. This is the only automatic transmission I've ever had, some I'm used to a car that will roll while in gear, but this surprised me. Should it do this and if so, why?
My 05HCH does this as well. Has to do with the CVT and engine rpms and mostly when the car is still cold in the AM. I just keep my foot on the brake after shifting into R for a couple of seconds more than usual before tapping the gas to back up. Annoying little CVT quirk but after you get used to it, not too bad. I'm just worried that the XYL might panic if she ever drives the car. Most CVT technology needs a certain rpm to engage, much like a motorcycle with auto trans (CVT). Technology has been around since the "crust" was still warm.

Old 03-19-2006, 09:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

when you stop at a traffic light or whatever, and you are going uphill, autostop kicks in, and when you release the break to put your feet on the gas pedal, the car just rolls back. That was a big surprise for me first time it happened. Now, i know it should do that but not that much it did. I think I rolled back a foot or more and the guy in tha back got scared... he flashed me his lights... since then, in this situations, I use handbrake gently, just enough to keep the car there until I have enough gas on.

Old 03-19-2006, 11:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by masgian
when you stop at a traffic light or whatever, and you are going uphill, autostop kicks in, and when you release the break to put your feet on the gas pedal, the car just rolls back. That was a big surprise for me first time it happened. Now, i know it should do that but not that much it did. I think I rolled back a foot or more and the guy in tha back got scared... he flashed me his lights... since then, in this situations, I use handbrake gently, just enough to keep the car there until I have enough gas on.
I suppose it depends how long you wait before stepping on the gas. I was actually surprised in the same situation that the car didn't roll back. I was worried that with the car facing uphill and the engine off it would start rolling backward when I took my foot off the brake. In fact, even with my foot off the pedal, the brake stays engaged until the engine revs up. So there's plenty of time, about one second, to get your foot off the brake and on to the gas pedal before the brakes are released.

Old 03-19-2006, 11:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, you are right, but that doesent work that way all the times. Try and see... Most of the times works

Old 03-20-2006, 12:49 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElanC
In fact, even with my foot off the pedal, the brake stays engaged until the engine revs up. So there's plenty of time, about one second, to get your foot off the brake and on to the gas pedal before the brakes are released.
This appears to work for me on slight grades, but on steeper grades, the weight of the car seems to overpower the slight braking effect and roll backward. In those situations, since I've gotten used to it, I will hold the brake with my left, then as I lift off the brake, immediately hit the gas with my right. (Actually, to be accurate, in those situations, I will generally coast up the hill and time the light so I don't have to stop at all )

Old 03-20-2006, 06:30 AM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by masgian
This happens to me sometimes when I'm at a particular stop sign/light here in canton. When in auto/stop the car will roll back before the ICE can restart on moderate inclines. How to avoid it.....just roll up to the light or stop sign and as soon as you feel the auto/stop kicking in, release the foot brake to restart the ICE before you come to a complete stop. Better to let the engine idle for a minute than to roll back into the car behind.. Sometimes you just have to make necessary adjustments for safety's sake.

Quick Reply: Rolling forward when in reverse ?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands