santa ana burning blues

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 11:06 PM
lost - boy
Default santa ana burning blues

hi all,

just wanted to throw in my two cents of a current driving disposition i encoutered last week up in the santa ana mountains.

we were driving up some incredibly steep hills and as soon as the ima would kick in the speed would increase dramatically, a good 3-5 miles per hour. the car would do this especially around turns and it would prove for a rougher and harder to handle ride. any comments would be appreciated.

the other issue i had was on the way down the mountain's curvy back roads. i must approximate that it was around 5-10 miles of pure down hill, extreme grades. in my infinite wisdom i decided to place the car at first in "S" sport, then in "L" low to help slow it down during our decent. with a combination of engine breaking and electric motor assist our speed was slowly climbing. when the battery became fully charged (car still in "L") i began to smell a faint electric burning smell. i had a faint feeling it was the car, but i went with it due to the passengers immediately proclaiming it was the new van that our buds had rented for the drive.

anyone else encountered this sort of problem? i solved it by shifting back into "S" or drive for the remain of our decent, relying more on breaking power then the electric motor.

thanks again!

Old 03-24-2005, 08:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Smell

I wouldn't be overly concerned but would definetly mention it at your next service interval.
Burning smell isn't normal and I would think / hope that the IMA would shut down charging in that case.

In the center of your rear deck is a vent for the IMA controllers & battery pack. I'm not sure if this vent is intake, exhaust or both.