Sat Radio floor mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 05:26 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Sat Radio floor mount

Has anyone tried the floor mount accessory (the one that uses the passenger seat bolt) in their 06 Civic to mount their Sat Radio? I just bought a S50 but was curious if it vibrates/bounces around.

Thanks!

George

Old 06-15-2006, 11:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Sat Radio floor mount

I've never heard of this. I did a dash mount for my XM Roady, and it works perfectly. Check out my photos in the "XM" thread.

Old 06-16-2006, 04:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
I've never heard of this. I did a dash mount for my XM Roady, and it works perfectly. Check out my photos in the "XM" thread.
I saw your setup - it's pretty slick. I did wind up installing my antenna the same way, although I didn't use double sided tape to hold it in place - I wasn't sure if you did or not.

Here is a pic of what I am talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Floor-Mount-...QQcmdZViewItem

I have a Sirius S50 - It's a lot longer than your XM tuner otherwise I would have copied your's.

I wasn't sure if the Floor mount would work or not as the seat bolt on the 06 Civic is not screwed down into the floor, rather it's parallel to floor into some mount that's part of the floor.

Thanks!

George

Old 06-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Hybrideriffic!

Have you guys seen the installation instructions for the optional Honda XM tuner?

They specify placing the tuner's "puck" antenna in the upper interior corner of the passenger side front windshield? If that location works well (and I assume it does), it seems like a very convenient location for installation.

I have a Sirius receiver and antenna I need to install in my new 06 HCH, and I'm going to try Honda's antenna location and installtion method.

Check out pages 2 and 10 of the Honda XM tuner installation manual...

http://www.handa-accessories.com/civ...ichybridxm.pdf

Last edited by gyropilot; 06-16-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:59 PM
Enthusiast

That sure is a strange place to mount the antenna. I can’t imagine it gets nearly as good reception as it would mounted OUTSIDE of the vehicle, with the antenna actually FACING the sky. That's kind of like lying on your stomach in the sun and hoping to get a tan there. It IS a directional antenna and the satelite(s) ARE in the SKY after all. What do I know though???

I had my XM installed through the dealer, by a professional audio shop. They mounted the antenna on the edge of the trunk lid, which made perfect sense to me and it looks nice and functions perfectly. At the time, I had no idea where the antenna was actually supposed to be mounted, but I’m certainly glad they didn’t follow the factory instructions! I’m sure they know more about it than whatever bonehead decided on the factory location.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well, I tried the windshield mount but didn't like all the wires leading up to it - plus it was a little large having a S50 hanging in the middle of the windshield, along with a radar detector.

I made the $25 investment and bought the floor mount. Installation into the car was easy - under 1 minute (took me longer to clean out the pasenger side of all my junk than it did to loosen and install the floor mount). I am very happy with the results as it places my S50 and it's control **** right at my finger tips when I have my arm resting on the center armrest. I'm going to clean up the wiring (tie wrap) this weekend and I'll post a pic if anyone is interested.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:57 PM
Enthusiast

I am planning on installing the Roady XT in my new Civic and haven't quite figured out how to do a neat dash install. It sounds like you have already done this but I can't find your thread, can you send it to me.

Thanks