Seeking Advice for purchase:New HCH II or Used HCH I?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 10:22 PM
It's not easy being Green
Default Re: Seeking Advice for purchase:New HCH II or Used HCH I?

I just took delivery of an HCH II and have 420 miles on it. I almost bought an HCH I 3 years ago, but didn't because the seats were very uncomfortable for me. As in back pain after 20 minute test drive. The HCH II benefits greatly from the latest Civic design, excellent crash worthiness, extra airbags - front, side, and curtain, and improvements in the engine (offset crank, vtec, light pistons with moly coating, etc.) and IMA system (more power, better batteries, etc). Along with that, the biggest difference is that the HCH II is almost a luxury car with lots of features, soft touch plastics, velour upholstery, lots of storage, etc. Take them both out for extensive test drives and then buy the one that makes the most sense to you. You're going to be miles ahead of all the non-hybrid cars out there so I don't think you can make a mistake here. Enjoy.

Old 02-01-2006, 05:14 AM
Enthusiastically Active

I agree with MG_HCHII about it being a win-win either way.... and most of the pros of the HCHII are subjective. But safety should be a consideration.... not that the HCHI wasn't safe (Honda's always are) but the 06 sets the standard for the small car segment, with 6 airbags and the active headrests standard among other features. My wife's life was recently saved partly due to the numerous safety features of our departed 05 Element, so safety moved to the top of my list when considering a replacement.

Old 02-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Enthusiast

I appreciate the feedback. I had been giving the latest safety features considerable consideration. The ACE frame, EBD, side curtain airbags and hood design with pedestrians in mind (Mazda incorporated such engineering in the hood of the RX-8). The other thread started by a new owner of an HCH II has also helped. I was leaning towards the HCH II before this feedback - but I think I'm convinced now - although that white on California red leather for sale w/11K miles is really tempting - to wait until I can get one with the somewhat controversial two-tone blue interior. Again - thanks for the feedback!