Service intervals on an HCH II

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Service intervals on an HCH II

Greetings all,

Just picked up my '06 Opal HCH w/ navi yesterday, just in time to park it in the garage for the blizzard.

I went through the maintenance/service booklet that came with my car and it has no specifics regarding service intervals, just alot of blank spaces. My dealership has a system where all cas get a sticker saying service is due at a 3 month period or 3,750 miles. I have read on this forum that the first oild chang should come after 5,000 miles, is this correct? Also, these cars are using synthetic oil surely we should get at last 5,000 miles safely between changes....right?

Old 02-12-2006, 01:52 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Service intervals on an HCH II

Originally Posted by Renato
Greetings all,

Just picked up my '06 Opal HCH w/ navi yesterday, just in time to park it in the garage for the blizzard.

I went through the maintenance/service booklet that came with my car and it has no specifics regarding service intervals, just alot of blank spaces. My dealership has a system where all cas get a sticker saying service is due at a 3 month period or 3,750 miles. I have read on this forum that the first oild chang should come after 5,000 miles, is this correct? Also, these cars are using synthetic oil surely we should get at last 5,000 miles safely between changes....right?
Hi Renato;

Actually your HCH II has a Computer that is doing the service intervals for you at somewhere around 7500-10000 miles.

So just wait for the dash on your car to tell you it is time to change oil.

Or you can do as the Dealer Service Department suggest and change it every 3500 Miles. It's your Money.

I work at a dealer for the past 10-Yrs. and can tell you that, the service department at a dealer is self supporting. Meaning they Generate Income for there end of the Business just like the Sales Department moving Iron.

It will not hurt anything to change the oil and filter sooner but as you pointed out, the Hybrid has Synthetic Oil and it is like the Energizer Battery Bunny. It goes and goes and goes and goes.

Save your Money and let the Computer do the thinking for you on service intervals as Honda designed it to.

HTH;

Terry

Old 02-12-2006, 06:45 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Service intervals on an HCH II

Thanks Terry!

Old 02-13-2006, 07:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm at about 6k miles already and haven't changed my oil. I'm going to change at around 10-15% oil life (probably in about a month).
My commute is about 65 miles per day.

Is anyone else going to rotate their tires every oil change? (Every 10k)

Old 02-13-2006, 07:32 AM
YA RLY.

When to rotate your tires is a subject for debate. A quick Googling shows sites saying every 5000-8000, every 6000, or every 10-15% wear.

Old 02-13-2006, 01:51 PM
Enthusiast

I think the oil change computer is one of the cooler features of our HCHII's.
So far I have 8300 km (5157mi) and my display shows only 50%.
The owners book says wait as long a possible before the first change to optimize benefit of break in. Who am I to argue?

Old 02-13-2006, 03:54 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Service intervals on an HCH II

Originally Posted by chesleyn
I'm at about 6k miles already and haven't changed my oil. I'm going to change at around 10-15% oil life (probably in about a month).
My commute is about 65 miles per day.

Is anyone else going to rotate their tires every oil change? (Every 10k)
Hi;

This is just (my) suggestion to you on tire rotation.

If you are going to use the HCH II's Computer to tell you when to do the oil change. I would also do the Tire Rotation and "Balance" at the same time.

Reason, we at the dealership recommend Tire and Balance at every other Oil change and those oil and filter changes were at 3,500 Miles. So that makes the tire rotate and balance at 7,500 Miles.

Your HCH II is more than likely using the Computer to tell you when to do the oil and filter changes, is going to be Greater than the 7,500 miles that we are using as a guideline.

If you would like to know what I personally will do with my HCH II? It will be at every Oil & Filter Change. Rotate & Balance Also at this same Service. All did I forget to mention? When the Computer says it's time.

HTH;

Terry

BTW; Remember I work at a Dealer.

Old 02-13-2006, 03:56 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: Service intervals on an HCH II

Originally Posted by JCarter
I think the oil change computer is one of the cooler features of our HCHII's.
So far I have 8300 km (5157mi) and my display shows only 50%.
The owners book says wait as long a possible before the first change to optimize benefit of break in. Who am I to argue?
Hi Jim;

Most Excellent Comment and you are right on target.

Great Minds think alike.

Terry