Should I replace my battery or buy a new car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 04:35 PM
Enthusiast
Question Should I replace my battery or buy a new car?

With no problems and mileage of 50-52 in the warmer months and 46-48 in the winter, I have been very, very happy with my 2003 hybrid Civic. My IMA light went on for the first time at 105,000 miles and I am being told that my battery is beginning to loose charge and it will need to be replaced. My question is do I replace it, which will cost approximately $7000 for everything or do I buy a new car? I know Honda cars are known for reaching 200,000 miles and if I know I can do that with a new battery, that would be my preference. Does anyone have any experience with replacing their battery that could give me advice?
Thank you.
DL

Old 07-29-2007, 05:16 PM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Re: Should I replace my battery or buy a new car?

Check your warranty... my 2006 is 8/80 (I live in Ohio), but if you're in a CARB state, it may be 15/150. Along with that, give Honda regional a call. Being only 5 years old, they may be willing to give you a new battery on the house even though you're (maybe) over on miles. There may also be a service campaign (one of those "unannounced" recalls) that affects the IMA battery and/or its warranty period.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have read about Honda helping out with IMA battery replacement costs on vehicles with well over 100,000 miles.

If I was in your shoes, and I was even leaning towards a new vehicle, I would first talk to American Honda about what they would be willing to do (if anything) to help you out. I might even go as far as to not even consider another Honda if they were not willing to offer at least a significant reduction in the cost of the repair.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:53 PM
Energy Independence

DL,
$7000 seems steep to me - and outrageous if all they're really replacing is the IMA battery. Search on this site - there have been others here that had their IMA batteries replaced. $7000 is the highest quote I can remember hearing about.

I'd certainly check out other shops, and possibly other alternatives (like maybe a used IMA battery from a recent wreck). Even calling around shops that are far away for a good price may be well worth the effort, and could save you a bundle.

Also, if the car was originally PURCHASED in a CARB state (like CA), then your IMA components warranty WILL cover this. Be sure!

If you are out of warranty, I would certainly check with American Honda and see if they will help out any. It appears they do sometimes.

Good luck.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:02 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast

gumby nails it. It's kind of a bad sign when your dealer is trying to hose you on price ($3,000, fair; $5,000, fair enough; $7,000, ridiculous). That would be an instant loss of trust for me, and I'd go to another dealer immediately for another diagnosis.

That said, I don't believe I'd ever buy a $7,000 repair on any car with 6-figure mileage. That's fully 1/3d the cost of a brand new HCH II.

--d

Old 07-30-2007, 07:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Wait, so in CA the battery has a 15/150 warranty? I just bought a 2007 in Cali and I thought it was 8/80? Or is the 15/150 only for older models?

Old 07-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Energy Independence

If you bought it NEW in CA, then it should be the 6-state version, and they come with the much longer warranty on the hybrid components (and some others). Check the back of your manual.
At least it was that way for 2006.
It's SUCH a nice bonus, I may just buy my next hybrid in one of those states and drive it home to TX

Old 07-31-2007, 03:12 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks all, you've given me some great ideas. I will let you know what happens!
DL