Should I trade in my 6 month old '05 HCH for a '06 HCH?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 10:27 AM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter
Default Re: Should I trade in my 6 month old '05 HCH for a '06 HCH?

Originally Posted by livvie
I doubt you will get $20k for trade in. so i would advice against doing this. You are going to be taking a big financial hit but if you are made of money then go for it.

Well, the Kelly on it is $20.3k in my zip code, so it's *possible* to get that. When I traded last week for my 05 HAH I was in danger of being upside-down on the trade vs. payoff on my BMW. Kelly wasn't even close, but NADA was actually *over* the trade-in (check both sources and take a printout to your dealer.) I managed to get closer to the NADA number but they were anxious to get the Accord off the lot - last of the 05s.

But the other posters are correct - the big hit is going to be on the taxes. At least in NC, tax you're paying is on the trade in $, and not the car you bought (where there's an additional highway use tax.)

The federal tax credit will just about balance all that out and net you back to $0-ish up front if you can cover the note on the 1st car with the trade.

I wouldn't worry so much about "debugging" a first model year because it's not all THAT different from the previous one, AND you have a warranty. If it breaks and it's a manufacturer defect, they fix it. If it's a recall, then the fix is free anyway. (like the one on the HCHI last year for the idle adjustment that could cause the catalytic converter to overheat.)

It's a muddle. And I'd be hard pressed (tho I'd probably stick with my new 4 month old car.) The 06 is slightly bigger (and there's an illusion of being a LOT bigger on the inside because of the large side windows and windshield. The new model has less road noise, but otherwise the driving feels very much the same. And the seats fit the same. And after spending a wintery week in an Accord, I'm really getting used to the heating system NOT turning off at auto-stop, the way it (also) does in the 06 Civic.

Old 12-16-2005, 10:32 AM
Energy Independence!

I would like upfront that I too, have these urges. Cold sweat, clammy hands, restless dreams..... but it is not by any chance limited to the HCH or vehicles for that matter.

Besides posting in this forum, I also belong to a prosumer photography, and a high definition TV forums.

And just like here, whenever a new model comes around, your old "last year" photography equipment no longer looks appealing, although it still takes amazing pictures.

And once again, your perfectly fine HDTV looks dated because the next model has this new "feature", which one must absolutely have to go from from 1 zillion to two lines of resolution.

And don't even get me started on computers or cell phones

Well, it is all part of "planned obsolescence" taken to the max. Enticing you to replace perfectly good things, most of which still do its job very well.

So, I finally stick my feet to the ground, and I enjoy my '05 HCH which is a darned good car, take pictures with my Sony DSC F717, and enjoy my TV, computer, cell phone and everything in between.

Old 12-16-2005, 11:37 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim
I don't know if this works the same in CA, but in Washington when you trade in a vehicle you get that value as "credit" on the new vehicle, so you only pay sales tax on the difference. For example, if you're buying a $20,000 car and you have a $12,000 trade in, you only pay tax on the $8,000 difference (not the full $20K). Note they use the cars value, not what you owe or how much equity you have.
Just curious: If you trade down in price, do you get a tax rebate? Taking the above example in reverse, if you buy a car for $12K, your trade-in is worth $20K, and your state's sales tax is 5%, will the state cut you a check for $400?

Old 12-16-2005, 12:01 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tanstaafl14
Just curious: If you trade down in price, do you get a tax rebate? Taking the above example in reverse, if you buy a car for $12K, your trade-in is worth $20K, and your state's sales tax is 5%, will the state cut you a check for $400?
You know, I'm not sure. I'd bet money that you would not. It may be as simple as you only pay tax on the difference, and if that difference is zero then you pay no tax.

Old 12-16-2005, 06:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Be smart.
Sell your used hybrid in a market that is in a frenzy. (Large city with highly educated population.)

Buy your new one in Ford and Chevrolet country.

Old 12-16-2005, 07:04 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: Should I trade in my 6 month old '05 HCH for a '06 HCH?

Originally Posted by ecaggiani
I'm very happy with my 2005 HCH CVT, but after reading about the 2006 and how much better it is, I'm thinking aboout trading up. My current car is only 6 months old, in perfect conditions, 4000 miles on it. I'm hoping I can get like $20K trade in for it if I decide to do this.

Is the 2006 worth it? Is the MPG that much better? How's the GPS system?
Hi ED;

Hey I would not even think of pulling your Leg:

The answer is (YES) Trade right now and get that 2006 on order and take delivery the 1st Month of 2006 January and get another $2,000.00 or so back off the real purchase price with the new Tax credit for 2006.

Remember you can't take it with you.

I just traded in my 2005 Honda Civic Special Edition that had all the whistles and bells on it for a new 06 HCH ll and have not looked back. My car had only 6,900 miles on it but, hey if you want the new state of the art HCH ll you just have to go for it. You can never make a dollar for dollar accounting for it because it always comes down to, what do you really want, RIGHT??
I say go do Business and enjoy life while we can, it is too short at best:

Terry

BTW; I think it makes life a little more fun and interesting to do the wild thing once in awhile.

Old 01-13-2006, 07:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

EDmunds has a range on 05 HCH cvt of 17418 to 20540. Dealer will NOT give you the high end at all..probably in range of 17-17.5 and probably off the list price of the new one at this time! I have same situation and did dome prelim checking and this seems to be the case. Better to sell yours on your own! See what Car Max will give you, they always give more that a trade at a dealer.

As for Tom Tom...for get it and look a t Garmin, they have a much better product than Tom Tom.. Garmin C320, C330, C340, 2720

Old 01-13-2006, 07:21 AM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

*ALWAYS* do a price compare between Edmunds/Kelly/NADA. I found that NADA was a significantly higher value quote for my car (it had pretty low miles for a 2001) and that's the printout I took with me to the dealer.

So I ended up getting a *higher* trade than the high-end of some of the other sites. (Of course all that stuff washes in the deal, so they just made back the bucks somewhere else on the page.)