Sigh... actual vs. computer mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Enjoying my hybrid
Default Re: Sigh... actual vs. computer mileage

To have that much of a difference, I have a feeling you got some "bonus" gas from the dealer. In other words, it was probably a bit over-filled when you picked it up, whereas when you filled it yourself, I imagine you just filled to the first click. So you actually burned more gas during your first tank than what you filled back up with. However, I think you will find (with this next tank), that the computer is about 2 mpg lower than calculated. I always use calculated for adding to the database.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:27 AM
'06 HCH Owner

Originally Posted by ShawnS
To have that much of a difference, I have a feeling you got some "bonus" gas from the dealer. In other words, it was probably a bit over-filled when you picked it up, whereas when you filled it yourself, I imagine you just filled to the first click. So you actually burned more gas during your first tank than what you filled back up with. However, I think you will find (with this next tank), that the computer is about 2 mpg lower than calculated. I always use calculated for adding to the database.
So the 50.1 mpg probably isn't acurate, right? I would have to know how full the dealer filled it and divide my miles by that. Well I put 10.3 gallons and had 2 bars of gas left, I didn't want to fill it too much.

Should I just start entering my mpg from the 2nd tank forward and not count my first tank?

Old 09-20-2006, 09:43 AM
Enjoying my hybrid

Maybe you can wait until you calculate the next tank and see how big a difference you see. If it is a large difference, leave out the first tank if you want. Over the long haul, the little difference of your first tank won't have much impact on your overall mpg (as JordanCS pointed out). If I had to guess, I bet your next tank will come in around 44mpg (calculated), assuming your commute is similar to your first tank. Just a guess.... Keep us posted!

Old 09-20-2006, 12:27 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The display on my '05 is usually 2-3 mpg over actual; occasionally slightly under. The wife's '06, OTOH, has been a bit below actual so far.

Old 09-26-2006, 04:57 AM
Enthusiast

My computer is (despite the occasional oddball reading, either high or low) is generally staying about 8% higher than my actual calculated mileage. It typically shows in the neighborhood of 48-49, while my calculated average (this is over many tanks of gas) has been running in the neighborhood of 45-47.

Note that I live in a very mountainous area, so I'm not doing as well as a lot of folks who live in the flat lands do. On a recent trip to NC, I averaged 52.4 for the tank (calculated), while my computer said 50.1 for the same tank. Always take the computer's ideas with a grain of salt.

Butch

Old 10-02-2006, 06:35 PM
06 HCH Opal Blue Pearl

Originally Posted by ButchVA
Am I the only one whose computer mileage readout is all over the friggin map compared to actual mileage? I just filled up this afternoon, and despite the computer saying 50.3 for this tank, I actually calculated 42.7 (a *HUGE* difference to my way of thinking). The tank *immediately* prior, the computer showed 48.2, and I calculated 50.1! What gives? I know there is usually a discrepancy (mine has averaged 8%), but the computer almost *always* reads higher than the actual calculated. How can it be so variable when I'm doing the *exact* same driving in the *exact* same conditions? Nothing changed from one tank to the next. Same gas station, same pump, same gas (presumably), same routes to and from school & clinicals, same everything. Wildly different results. The scientist in me is perplexed.

Butch
I see yours is a 2003, but mine had the same issue, a 2006. It was directly related to the service advisory which delt with the odometer resetting every 63 miles...however mine never reset...it just never read accuratly, going from the mid 30's to over 60 mpg in a given hour!! Now I look back and should of snapped a picture of 60-70 mpg tank at 400 miles...

They replaced the odometer and now its within 1/2 mpg of actual. Very happy. Too bad the experience of having it changed out wasn't so great. Now it goes up to maybe the low 50's at best...but thats ok, its reading correctly now. With more miles on the tank...it settles into around 48-50 mpg.

Bob

Old 03-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

A change in the levelness and/or sensitivity of the pump cut-off could make a difference too

Old 06-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Enthusiast

It's been under by 1 or 2 miles the past 4 or 5 fillups. I tend to stop
after the first click of the pump. So I figure about 1/4 to 1/2 gallon or less could fill it to the top. It a good enough approximation with me.

It's cool with me. Considering I went from 24 MPG with my older commute vehicle to the 50+ MPG I'm getting now and the sheer fun of driving the hybrid. I'm pretty content and not worried about the gas calculation. As long as the mileage odometer is correct and the NASCAR wannabes are able to pass me safely (burning up the gas and then grumbling about the price of gas when they stop at the pump, tsk tsk) I'm good to go. I have to say the the Civic Hybrid has given me a better outlook on driving.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My computer data is sometimes high, sometimes low, but always off compared to the calculation, by up to 2 mpg or so. If you track overall mileage, after 5 or 10 tanks these little inconsistencies have a negligible impact on your lifetime mileage, so I really don't worry about it much. Computer inaccuracies, pumping inconsistencies, it's all part of the game. No individual measurement is going to give an accurate overall picture, so keep some big picture data and you'll find that these minor differences are insignificant over time.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by clbyrne
It's been under by 1 or 2 miles the past 4 or 5 fillups. I tend to stop
after the first click of the pump. So I figure about 1/4 to 1/2 gallon or less could fill it to the top.
It's actually almost 2 gallons to fill up from the first click to the filler neck.

Quick Reply: Sigh... actual vs. computer mileage

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands