Solution to the MPG fixation

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Enthusiast
Default Solution to the MPG fixation

After a little over one thousand miles on my 2006HCH, I have finally solved the "problem" of the MPG gauge. IGNORE IT!

I found myself mesmerized by the gauge often taking my eyes off the road to check to see "how well I was doing." I suspect this is an affliction of new owners.

Well, let me tell you. Life in the HCH becomes a lot easier when you shut the trip meters off of constant viewing. You'll get what you get!

I'm not suggesting forgetting about good hybrid driving techniques, just don't become fixated on mpg's!

My first tank refills gave me 54.6 and 52.4 mpg's on ranges of about four hundred plus miles.

Today, I had reason to take an Interstate #75 trip of about two hundred miles. I set the cruise control at seventy five miles per hour, ignored the trip meters, and to my surprise, when I checked them at the end of the excursion; found I had an fuel mileage of 52.1 mpg's. I was fearful that the higher speeds on the interstate would not produce the fuel economy as around town.

So, what I am trying to say is, "Sit back, relax, and enjoy the many great features of the Civic Hybrid other than mpg's! THEY'RE A GIVEN!

Old 03-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Solution to the MPG fixation

I agree.

That is, AFTER you learn what you are doing.

Last edited by kenny; 03-06-2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Easier said than done, when your goal is to achieve (at least) EPA figures and you're driving 150 miles into a gusty 30 mph headwind at 3 degrees above 0F (hello Soleil24 in Quebec!).

I know, I know - I'm still doing better than I would in a non-hybrid. And I know there's not much I can do about the weather. But still, conditions like that can be *painful* when you want to get The Number. I feel every gust like I'm riding a friggin' bicycle.

Old 03-06-2006, 09:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

welcome to the real world Neo

Old 03-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chukbug
"Sit back, relax, and enjoy the many great features of the Civic Hybrid ...
That's what I've been trying to say for a while, and you have just articulated it very well. Drive like common sense would dictate if you were trying to get good MPG and be a good driver, and let the MPGs happen.

It was an epiphany of sorts for me when I stopped obsessing about the MPG, and just started enjoying the car.

I also realized just recently that I have lost almost of year of really good "think time". Driving from here to there, I have had some of my best ideas (work-related and otherwise) when behind the wheel. But when I would always be obsessing about my precise current MPG, the background tasks of my mind get shut down, as I would instead be thinking about "what am I getting now?" "what am I getting now?"

Now, I'm back to just enjoying the car and the ride, and letting my mind process problems and potential solutions, like it used to.

Old 03-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

I had the same epiphany about two months ago, which was about 6 months after my purchase. My mileage dropped by about 5 mpg as I increased my commute speed
from 55 to 65 to keep up with traffic.

Your point about lost think time is a really good one. I suffered the same thing,
but did not realize it until you pointed it out.

My new style is primarily characterized by more aggressive downshifting (I have
the MT), and it lays into the pack a lot less too. My old style was a pack
killer on my hill climb into work, and I was looking for a way to improve that.
You guys with the CVT probably don't have to worry about this.

All the things I learned from the meter I still do, PnG in city traffic, coasting
downhills, and FAS when the engine is cold. But I have abandoned
anything I have to stare at the meter to accomplish, and I keep
up with traffic now, I consider these to be improvements in safety and
courtesy.

I sometimes feel like a drug addict quitting the habit. But in retrospect
the meter staring phase was a necessary learning period.

Old 03-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Hello I'm Tim, and I'm a recovering poster-child for MDFD - Mileage Display Fixation Disorder.

Things were getting just plain wierd - I was actually getting annoyed if I had to slow down or if the auto-stop didn't kick in. I've tracked my mileage closely for more than 3 years now. I've concluded that there are so many things you can't control that influence that little guage, the only meaningful measure may be monthly, seasonal, or annual FE results. I paid attention long enough to internalize good habits - then obsessed about it for about 12 months. Now I do what most have said so far - I drive sensible, and let the MPG take care of itself.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:00 PM
YA RLY.

Being a diehard video gamer, I'll never give up the iFCD. You hear me? NEVER? BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

Old 03-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

I too have stopped "Eagle-eyeing" my MPG. I have also stopped trying to drive slow. I like to drive fast and if I can't enjoy my car then why bother with it at all. So now, I drive faster (still under the speed limit....most of the time) and I love driving my car. And Guess what? My MPG reads 46.9 now. Which is funny because I used to average 44.2. I have started using the highway more but you get the idea.

Old 03-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Two other reasons to stop being fixated on my personal MPG:

1. Domestic Tranquility. I no longer care that much if my spousal unit drives the car. She is unable to get the MPG that I do, and it used to bother me that my MPG would drop when she drove the car. So I'd hint that maybe she should take her car (the minivan). Now, I know she is getting way better mileage by driving my HCH, and I don't get the evil-eye treatment, so it's all good.

2. Better for the Planet. It used to bother me, when we needed to take a very short trip, in the night, in the cold, up and down hills, because it would hammer my MPG. Now, I'm comfortable with the fact that it is way better for me to take the MPG hit on my HCH, because I'm saving gas compared to what I would be using in the other car.

Both of these are totally obvious, and it's embarrassing to admit that they were ever issues, but what can I say, I was addicted to MPG.

Quick Reply: Solution to the MPG fixation

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands