Spring is coming!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Spring is coming!!!

OK - so this probably isn't really exciting news to those of you in the warmer regions of the country. Today in Central PA - the temperature was about 45 this morning and nearly 60 at noon. Compared with 25 in the morning / 40 at noon. My typical daily commute (to work in the AM after dropping the kid off at daycare, home for lunch and then back, and then home at the end of the day - about 9 miles total for 4 trips, 6 red lights per trip and a stops at daycare and the grocery store which is on the way to work) is just a killer for mileage as concerned! I had been getting about 30-32MPG in the cold weather over the first month I've had the car. Today my daily trip so far is at 38MPG after getting back to work after lunch. Nothing else changed! Yippee! Bring on the warm weather.

Eric

Old 03-09-2006, 10:11 AM
YA RLY.
Default Re: Spring is coming!!!

My trip computer is up to 48 and rising. It's going to be 55F today!

Old 03-09-2006, 11:23 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yeah I'm mildly excited. I filled up in Vegas this weekend and I was at 54 mpg for the average tank when I got here. Now, back in LA, with these killer hills by my house, its down to 51.3 And this is only with three days being back.... Hopefully my numbers will improve with warmer weather....

Old 03-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

You should move to Los Angeles!

Housing is dirt cheap, jobs are abundant, and it is always a sunny 80 degrees!

And the Easter bunny is real too!

Ron in SoCal

Old 03-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Our warmest morning in nearly 2 months (35F) helped me get 51.1 mpg coming into work today, a personal best (unaided by wind); I've been as low as 42 mpg when the temps have been around -10F.

Things are definitely looking up - and just three weeks and a day until the snow tires come off!

Last edited by subnivean; 03-09-2006 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:46 PM

Is it true living in cold climates such as those that you have to turn your engine on every now and then while at work for example so that the engine doesn't freeze over ???? Or is that only for older cars ????

Old 03-09-2006, 01:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I live in a cold area and I've never heard of anyone running out of work in the middle of the day to turn on their engines. Sometimes they'll sit in the car and let it heat up for quite a while before they put it in gear, but that's probably not what you mean. Maybe in areas that are a lot colder than Chicago?? Still sounds strange to me.

Old 03-09-2006, 02:02 PM
YA RLY.

It would have to be -40 or worse for that. Somplace like Nome, AK where you have to leave your vehicle running 24/7 in winter (unless you have a heated garage).

Old 03-09-2006, 02:44 PM

I recall having to run the car for 20-30 min. before driving in Omaha during weather as cold as -20 F. Also had a spell of 0 F in Dallas once and had to run the car at least 15 min.

Old 03-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

I arrive at work about 5-10 minutes before the end of the prior shift (~7 am) and in the winter I walk past more than a few running cars with no one in them - people stick their remote car starters out of windows and doors to start them.

Personally, I have rarely warmed up any of my vehicles, even down below zero - I just take it real easy for the first couple of miles.

Quick Reply: Spring is coming!!!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands