Success with K&N filters, synthetic oil, etc ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Success with K&N filters, synthetic oil, etc ?

A guy at work was trying to encourage me to consider high end air filters and synthetic oil in my 04HCH, under the assumption that it would help my FE. Any experience and/or data to support these suggestions out there? Anyone using K&N-type air filter notice any difference?

Also, I know there's tons of threads about oil, but I'm wondering how to get it changed with the 0w oil (without going to the dealer or buying it at Wal-Fart). Does synthetic really make any difference (I'm not talking about personal preference here, wondering about actual FE data). Thanks.

Last edited by zimbop; 02-03-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:29 PM
Rarely post anything
Default Re: Success with K&N filters, synthetic oil, etc ?

I'd vote 'no' on the K&N, and 'yes' on the synoil.

I had a K&N filtercharger (drop-in stock replacement) on 2 cars - a '97 Grand Prix, and a '01 Accord V6 Coupe. On both of them, I can say that I had a slightly noticable difference in available power - the engine breathed better - but the effects on FE were negligible at best, from what I remember.

About a year ago, I found some information at BITOG and other places that quantified that particulate matter that was allowed into the engine *increased* over using the stock filter, or many / most other OEM replacement brands. That was enough for me to say "I'll stick with stock, on that item". Incidentally, I've seen that an AC-Delco (!) air filter is very highly rated vs. its peers. I think I'll stay with stock OEM on my air filters, though.

Synoil - I've been running this since the '01 Accord, and from an increased FE standpoint (due to lessened friction), a durability standpoint (breakdown in usage over 5000mi) vs conventional oil, and a corresponding decrease in lessened engine wear, I think it's worth the extra money. Research shows that Mobil 1 tends to have the highest kinematic viscosity, relative to its synoil cousins - for that reason, plus it being generally available in your neighborhood auto parts store, I use that brand. If you don't need to change your oil in the next month or so, you may want to wait - Mobil is supposed to re-introduce 0W-20 to the marketplace in the spring.

As an aside, I'm impressed that you choose to take your business to another retailer besides Wal-Mart. I know many don't have the choice, but for those who do, and choose to shop elsewhere, I try to show my appreciation for their consideration and (short-term) monetary sacrifice.

Old 02-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreenAndBlue

As an aside, I'm impressed that you choose to take your business to another retailer besides Wal-Mart. I know many don't have the choice, but for those who do, and choose to shop elsewhere, I try to show my appreciation for their consideration and (short-term) monetary sacrifice.
Thanks for the encouragement. I feel that it's worth a little extra to take the high ground. It may cost more, but hey, it costs more to do things right - so I don't think of it as a sacrifice, but a necessary expense. I'm ok with that.

Everyone has choices, so I don't buy that some don't have a choice. Some may feel justified shopping at walmart, thinking that they can't afford to pay higher prices, but I believe they could make different choices about how much stuff they need, and still be able to afford the essentials shopping elsewhere. The low prices at walmart come out of the sacrifices of its workers, pushed to desparation. That I'm not ok with.

Last edited by zimbop; 02-03-2006 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:36 PM
Enthusiast

I bought a K&N air filter for my 98 Honda Civic DX. I may have felt a little more power in acceleration, however, I did get hit on FE by 1mpg. I don't think I'll be buying a K&N air filter for my 06 HCH II. I'm willing to try the synthetic oil but do they sell 0W oil?

Aloha,
Ronald

Old 02-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zimbop
Also, I know there's tons of threads about oil, but I'm wondering how to get it changed with the 0w oil (without going to the dealer or buying it at Wal-Fart). Does synthetic really make any difference (I'm not talking about personal preference here, wondering about actual FE data). Thanks.
I bought a supply of 0-20W from Napa. I just take it to Jiffy Lube - they'll change the oil and replace with what you bring. Now here is where a lot of folks will freak - they only reduce the price of the oil change by 2 or 3 dollars (I forget, but it's nothing). So I still wind up with a $30 oil change bill, even though I bring my own oil. However, I only change it 3 times a year - not a big deal for the convenience. I noticed a difference between the 5-20W dino oil I was using and the 0-20W synth. Unfortunately, I did the switch in the same appointment that I had the computer upgrade done. Betwen both events, the FE went up 3-4 MPG for summer driving. Winter driving is the same as it's always been for the last 3 years.

Old 02-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've been using synthetic oil in my '03 since day one. She has a little over 80,000 miles on her now and I'm getting around 51 mpg. Like Tim, I stocked up on Mobil1 0w20. I use synthetic in all my vehicles and love it. I hear Mobil is supposed to fire up their 0w20 again sometime in March. I'll restock my supply.

I have a K&N in all my vehicles except the HCH. Reason is, they don't make one. Not really a noticable difference in mpg, but I like the fact that they are maintenance free.

Howard