Sumimoto HTR 200 and other tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 02:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Sumimoto HTR 200 and other tire choices

Originally Posted by noflash
However, their is no statistical survey on how the tires perform over time. The Kuhmo reviews are the opinions of people who tend buy cheap tires and post about them on the Internet. I don't totally trust average joe consumer that buys a set of tires every 4-5 years.

Also, most tire reviews there are positive. Almost all the reviews I have read rank highly. So what does that tell you?
This is exactly why I was hoping to hear from people on this forum who have ACTUAL EXPERIENCE with these tires on the HCH, hence my post. I have read all the reviews, and have my hesitations based on Sumi and Kumho's "Kia/walmart" reputation and the low price.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:28 PM
Banned

To clarify, don't jump to the conclusion that the tire is a diamond in the rough because you read a few good reviews and it's cheap -- that's it.
No I don't not at all. However in general, many of the reviews I've come across for the tires I mentioned are consistently good. So I purchased a pair for my current car and so far they are very good.

I admit that I have to change my way of thinking when I do need to buy new all-seasons for the HCHII.

I did just buy snow tires. I did that based on the Blizzacks LRR rating from GreenSeal, the Blizzack reputation, and my experience owning two sets for our old bimmers.

I think it's dificult to buy tires for the HCH today, because the manufacturers and the Tirerack do not identify which are LRR tires. I hope I wont have to buy them for a couple of years and I hope more information is available to us when I do need them.
LLR tires are something I am not familiar with. So I really can't comment on them until I do some research about them. You know much more about them than I do at this point!

Were I to get a Civic Hybrid, I'd probably go with standard tires (i.e SI style rims or EX style as I do not like the Hybrid wheels). I doubt they'd do too much damage to the overall fuel economy. But again, I don't know for sure.

When I read the reviews, I don't take everyone's word, rather I look for trends. If I read 33 reviews that are all rated 7-9, but I read 4 times that the tires get squirrelly in the rain, then I cross that one off my list. You get the idea? You can't trust one consumer review, but you can trust similarities among a few reviews.
Yes of course...quite obviously you don't get take everyone's word for it. You do look for overall trends and scores across the board.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zimbop
Am still curious how it works to actually buy the tires from tire rack and get them installed and serviced over the life of the tire. Who offers the road hazard service when a tire goes bad, the shop that installed them? I don't particularly like the idea of a mail-order replacement, that sort of defeats the purpose of road hazard becuse what I need is protection while traveling which is why whenever possible I like to buy from a chain store with lots of locations.
No doubt shopping online has drawbacks especially with tires.

I would also still like to know what model of kumho you find so appealing, because with every manufacturer no two models are the same. Some are great and some suck, I've never found a tire maker that didn't fit that rule.
From personal experience I purchased the Kumho ECSTA AST series. The snow and ice traction is OK...but overall it's a quiet, good handling, grippy tire in the dry. I can attest to that this far. Far superior to the BF Goodrich tires that are mounted on the rear two tires (which cost 1.6 times as much)!

Yes you are correct...all manufacturers make good and bad tires...not doubt about that whatsoever.

But again, if the Civic requires LLR tires, I can't really advise anything since I don't know what they really are.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Energy Independence

Don't dismiss Kumho as the Kia of tires. I've owned plenty of tires worse than a pair of Kumhos I currently own.
I agree, don't skimp on tires - I NEVER do. I look mainly for superior wet and dry traction, without too much road noise. Super long tread wear doesn't impress me at all. 80K of slippery tires is just stupid, so get good traction.
I like the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 series (in the 235/45/17 size). This is a summer performance tire. I wouldn't think of using it regularly in ice or snow. I have a pair on the rear of my MB 560SL, and they are as good as the Dunlop SP9000's they replaced - and at 2/3 the price, to boot. The Dunlop was about $200 each.
Both these tires are no longer made, I think, but I'd certainly consider Kumho in the future.
I don't have any specific recommendations for you though, as I only have 9K on my new HCH2 I have heard good things about the Goodyears you mentioned, though, although I doubt they are LRR.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by gumby
I have heard good things about the Goodyears you mentioned, though, although I doubt they are LRR.
Were it not for that LRR concern, I think I would have already decided on the Goodyear Accurance Triple Tread. I am still leaning toward the Sumimoto if I can find them, it gets great marks and reviews for wet and dry traction and tread wear. I think the OEM Bridgestone would also be a fine choice, but it's the most expenseive of the lot so I'd have to be more excited about it to pay the extra cash. I wonder why tire rack doesn't show ratings for that tire?

Old 12-29-2006, 06:11 AM

Kumho Touring A/S 795

This tire looks like it might be good for a Kumho. Some like it on the prius and think its LRR, though it's not listed on the GreenSeal list and its max pressure is 35. It is difficult, many reviews mention that it's a good tire for the money. I don't really want to buy some tire that's "pretty good for ten bucks" versus a tire that's "pretty good compared to all the other tires out there." I am really looking for the second, not the first approach.

Last edited by zimbop; 12-29-2006 at 06:16 AM.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:29 AM

Glad to hear the positive Kuhmo reviews.

...and not to add fueld to the fire, but IMO it is not a safe practice to wear a mix of different tires on your vehicle. You can read up on this at the Tirerack, but I will give you a summary.

All tires have different handling characteristics and thresholds. For example, if you have tires that have better wet traction in the front than in the rear, you could experience oversteer. That is, when your rear wheels lose traction sooner than your fronts and your rear end slides out and around. This may be okay around town, but could kill you on, say, a long sweeping interstate turn. This is especially a concern for those who only use two front snow tires.

I just want you guys to consider that. Only trying to help.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:29 AM
Banned

Glad to hear the positive Kuhmo reviews.

...and not to add fueld to the fire, but IMO it is not a safe practice to wear a mix of different tires on your vehicle. You can read up on this at the Tirerack, but I will give you a summary.

All tires have different handling characteristics and thresholds. For example, if you have tires that have better wet traction in the front than in the rear, you could experience oversteer. That is, when your rear wheels lose traction sooner than your fronts and your rear end slides out and around. This may be okay around town, but could kill you on, say, a long sweeping interstate turn. This is especially a concern for those who only use two front snow tires.

I just want you guys to consider that. Only trying to help.
I would have used the same tires all-around. But the BF Goodrich tires were put on new from the dealer I purchased the car from (used). I wanted to get the same tires but they were 2 1/2 times more than the Kuhmos...and got worse reviews.

For the driving I do, I'm good I think.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

I went with Continentals (ContiTouringContact CV95 - the CH is on GreanSeal's list). I don't know if they make them in a 185/70 (mine are 195/60). We recently had an ice/snow storm and I took the car out. I don't know how extensive a test it was. In all I never lost control, it tracked well, stopped when I was supposed to, and I traveled some 50 miles without incident. There were spots that did test the tire, but they never broke loose. However I was driving very careful, and there was not much snow (just ice patches). Overall I like the tire. Grips MUCH better than the Dunlops and they don't seem as noisy. Handling improved too. I've logged about 15K with them and have no complaints. They are not cheap - were just shy of $100 per. FE dropped about 2 MPG too, but I can't tell if that's the tire or the wheels.

1/16/07 Update: We've had a full-on snow storm (for Seattle) this week. I took the car out today on compact snow and ice. The tires did very well. So far I've been very impressed.

Last edited by Tim; 01-16-2007 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Tofu+hybrd= crazy fun!

Well, ive had experience with both the khumo MX and khumo 712, one a 220 treadwear super sticky tire, to a average everday performance tire, not on my hybrid. (Old honda accord, and both tires didnt effect mpg. from what I could tell)

I think they are great quality, and are worth the price. I was buying tires every 6-8 months at the time, so I was trying lots of tires out. (auto-x, a LOT!)

Khumo changed the tire market a lot. They became a huge player in what was before a cornered market. After them, falken stepped up and started making awesome tires too.

Quick question; does treadwear ratings have any effect on rolling resistance? Im looking at the falken ziex 512 for my 1st gen HCH. The last owner of my car put terrible tires on her.

Quick Reply: Sumimoto HTR 200 and other tire choices

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands