Test Drive Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 05:57 AM
Enthusiast
Default Test Drive Question

My HCH-II is "supposed" to be here in about 10 days. Any advice on the test drive? Things to try, things to look for, etc.

All of the negotiation is complete - I just want to have a thorough "hybridized" test drive.

I've never driven a hybrid before, but I've been practicing my "hypermiling techniques on my car for about 10 months. I get 28 to 29 mpg overall on every tank on a car rated 21 city /28 hwy.

Thanks.

Old 04-20-2006, 06:27 AM
Proud owner HCHII
Default Re: Test Drive Question

Even if you cannot test drive an HCH II you might be able to test drive a CVT HCH I which is very similar. Nothing special to look out for - just lie back and enjoy it. Before your own delivery, ask the dealer to drive you round the block (which he is required to do by Honda) - watch and listen. The cars are beautifully prepared and finished. Your dealer will not hand it over if it is not perfect. If you go to https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp you can read a copy of your manual - miss out all the stuff about baby seats etc. but concentrate on how to drive. No need at this time either to read about maintenance or bulb replacement.
Hope that helps. Do not let the dealer show off the rev range on your car keep the revs down to less than 2000 for the break-in period of 625 miles.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:46 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

I'd only add that you'll want to be familiar with the operation of any "econ" button that may disable auto-stop. I don't know if the 06's have this, but the HCH I's have an econ button that if you don't have it engaged, auto-stop won't work. When I test drove mine, I couldn't get auto-stop to engage and the salesman didn't know why. Realized later it was the button. You may also want to read up on how an 06 gets into "EV only" mode to maintain highway speeds if you want to check that out too. I expect there are some conditions to be met there too (engine warm, batts at a certain charge). Basically, just be familiar with the conditions necessary to enable some of the hybrid-unique features if you want to check them out.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:56 AM
Enthusiast

There is no ECON button in the 06 like Tim mentioned.

Regarding the test drive, I can not think of anything to look for other than things that would apply to a non-hybrid car to check for. Scratches on it, the VIN is what it is listed on the Bill of Sale etc. The only thing I needed the dealer to do when I picked mine up was to take off their dealer stickers and plates that they were not supposed to put on in the first place.

Old 04-20-2006, 09:05 AM
Proud owner HCHII

I agree. I hate dealers thinking that I am going to carry their advertising around the world!

Old 04-20-2006, 10:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

Fortunately my dealer had a license frame as their only logo on the car. Of course I immediately swapped it for my St. Louis Rams frame and now you would never know where I got it!