Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   Is there a problem? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/there-problem-24010/)

Bart 03-07-2010 09:26 AM

Is there a problem?

This past week I was in a Honda Hybrid that wasn't mine. I was out of town and so I had an opportunity to be in someone elses Civic Hybrid. Because of the experienced I'm now concerned.

I've had my Honda Civic Hybrid since 07 and have always experience a whump whump whump whump whump etc.. coming from the rear of the car. It speeds up and slows down depending on the speed of the car. And there seems to be a slight shudder also, but I'm not sure. I always thought it was just the noise that the Honda Hybrids make. But, now after riding in someone elses car, which didn't have that noise, I'm pulling my hair out. What could be wrong with the car that makes such a noise. Can it be fixed under warrenty?

Anyone else experience this? Could it simply be tires that were never balanced correctly?

Your views greatly welcome.

Bart

Harold 03-07-2010 12:36 PM

Re: Is there a problem?

If it makes this sound all the time then it may be bearings or cupped tire issue.I would think the later? Maybe your car needs the upper control arms too correct the neg. camber issue some HCH2 have? Mine had this problem! Rotate the tires and see if there is a change. Hal

Gairwyn 03-07-2010 09:57 PM

I agree with Harold. Try rotating the tires front to back. If the noise then seems to be coming from the front of the car, there's probably something wrong with one of those tires. I did a google search and it could be an unbalanced tire, a defective tire, a bad rim, etc. (A good tire place should be able to take a look at these types of things for you.)
If you still hear the sound even after having the tires rotated, then maybe your car has the "upper control arms" problem, and you should have the Honda dealership check it out.
But it definitely is not a "normal hybrid sound".

Bart 03-08-2010 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Harold (Post 219870)
If it makes this sound all the time then it may be bearings or cupped tire issue.I would think the later? Maybe your car needs the upper control arms too correct the neg. camber issue some HCH2 have? Mine had this problem! Rotate the tires and see if there is a change. Hal

Update

My service repair guy said the rear tires were badly cupped. He too thought the noise was from the tires. The suggestion was to get two new tires for the front and see if that takes care of the noise when the current front tires are moved to the rear.

So, what are good replacement tires for a 97 Civic Hybrid?

Thanks
Bart

Harold 03-08-2010 08:42 PM

You should have Honda replace the upper control arms and do a complete alignment otherwise you will cup the new tires. Your car should be covered as this was a manufacture defect? Hal.

Bart 03-09-2010 04:12 AM

I saw the post about the upper control arm problem. I took the car to my Honda shop and they said that it did sound like the control arm problem. At 37K they said they wouldn't replace the tires, but they would make the correction. We shall see.

Bart 03-09-2010 12:57 PM

The control arm and alignment was taken care of. The tires are another story. Because they have over 32K miles on them they are not under warranty.

I can live with that.

Harold 03-09-2010 05:07 PM

I would live with it as well. You managed 37000 out of them which is better than most, I'm glad to here your issue was dealt with. Your tire should last much longer and your car will be much quieter inside.:) Hal

Bart 03-10-2010 05:37 AM

The car now is quieter and smoother. There still is some wup wup noise coming from the rear, but that is probably the bad tires. I'll be getting new tires today so I'm hoping that too will go away.

Bart 03-12-2010 06:38 AM

Update:

Had two new Michelin Energy Savers put on the front and the older front ones moved the rear.

WOW! It's a different car! It's so much quieter! The wup wup wup noise, some folks describe is as a roar, is gone. No more noise and the car is smooth! I'm sold. All this time I thought it was just the noise that all Honda Hybrids make and that there was nothing that could be done. Boy, was I wrong. All you 06, 07 and 08 folks, if your car qualifies, get that upper control arm fixed, and get a set of quite tires. If your car is one of the problem cars the fix is under warranty and hence, free!