Is there a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is there a problem?

Hi Bart
Feels like a brand new car,does it not! Took me awhile to take mine in as well 34,000 Kil.. Before then I insulated the trunk , took the rocks out of the tire all without any results. I finally took it in. My HCH required springs as well in order to get within spec.. My problems were not however over. I drove down to Dessert Hot Springs last mth. and when I arrived I notice both my rear tire where Bald. They had 90% tread when I left. I still got 45 mpg even after pulling the rubber of the tires. Had a wheel alignment performed At the Honda Dealer in Palm Springs and too new Dunlap's installed. The alignment towed out .034 on both rears. My Dealer in Victoria said I must have been over loaded! That is what I expected out of them. Oh well it cost me $303 dollars to tell me never to purchase there again.
Cheers,
Hal

Old 03-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
Hi Bart
Feels like a brand new car,does it not! Took me awhile to take mine in as well 34,000 Kil.. Before then I insulated the trunk , took the rocks out of the tire all without any results. I finally took it in. My HCH required springs as well in order to get within spec.. My problems were not however over. I drove down to Dessert Hot Springs last mth. and when I arrived I notice both my rear tire where Bald. They had 90% tread when I left. I still got 45 mpg even after pulling the rubber of the tires. Had a wheel alignment performed At the Honda Dealer in Palm Springs and too new Dunlap's installed. The alignment towed out .034 on both rears. My Dealer in Victoria said I must have been over loaded! That is what I expected out of them. Oh well it cost me $303 dollars to tell me never to purchase there again.
Cheers,
Hal
Sorry that your outcome was not as painless as mine.

Last edited by Bart; 03-12-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:39 PM

Harold, can you check your documentation regarding the value .034. Is that in fact toe out (as opposed to camber, etc), and what unit system is that value, ie: mm or inch?

FYI, the rear toe spec is:

Toe-in: 2 [+2~-1] mm (0.08 [+0.08~-0.04] inch

Old 03-15-2010, 07:40 PM

The job was done in the US so inches. 9000 kilometers and the rear tires where bold. Hal

Old 03-15-2010, 07:45 PM

Was it toe out, as opposed to toe in? Spec. toe is all on the "in" side.

FWIW, whoever typed up your bill might have screwed up, it happens

Old 03-16-2010, 08:14 AM

I got a print-out from the alignment machine. It shows the left and right camber within range.
Toe in left printed in red 0.41 spec range 0.04 deg- 0..16 deg.
Toe in right in red print 0.35 spec range 0.04 -016
It must have been toe out as it was printed in red because the final toe is shown in green and the total toe is now 0.12deg. spec range 0.08- 0.31 .
Hal

Old 03-16-2010, 08:43 PM

The indicated spec on your printout makes sense:

0.08 [+0.08~-0.04] inch equals 0.16 to 0.04 inch

and yes, sounds like red = toe out and green = toe in, being initially toed out when the spec was in means it was way off spec.

BTW, the numbers are (decimal) inches, but that's about my limit of comprehension, not sure how they would measure that.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:17 PM

Hi Mendel
The car is handling well and the tires are wearing even, so I believe everything is good. Had the car out last Sunday for a test . I drove 45 kilometers and when I arrived home the car showed 3.7 Ltr. per 100 Kil. or 63.7 mpg. This is the best I have managed since I purchased the HCH. I might add that the speed limit was 80 kilometer per hr..
Cheers,
Hal

Old 03-26-2010, 07:12 PM

That is excellent mileage. I think the best we've ever managed for a full tank is maybe 4.5 liter/100km. Somewhere around there. Basically all highway driving, on vacation. More typically, even on vacation, we'll get down to around 5.0, if the force is with us

Well, apart from one time when tanking up on East Hastings just at the west end of the Barnet Hwy, if you know the Vancouver area. Reset the trip meter rolling out of the station, and more or less coasted down hill for about 2 kilometers. It got down to some phenominal number by the bottom of the hill, maybe 2.3~2.5. Even by the end of that leg of the Barnet, pulling into Port Moody, still in the low 3's